truck q. , headlights stay on during the day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Jan 7, 2009.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

my 03 silverado has automatic headlights. the other day i was driving and noticed my headlights were on and it was sunny outside. i could manually shut off the headlights but my dash was still lit up. when i turn the truck off everything seems to shut down normally. the sensor isnt covered by any items. it only actually happened once so far.

i looked around and i see they sell a relay for this system. but i cant find the actual light sensor. does anyone know the proper name of this sensor (the dark gray dome thing) so i can find a new one. also, can anyone describe how to test the sensor and the relay so i know what to buy. also is it easy to change out that sensor? it seems like it should pop out or unscrew. (i hope)

thanks for reading, also any other advice on whatever im missing would also be appreciated.

2. on my truck it was the sensor in the dash ,,$2.49,,you have to remove the upper cover ,,I had a Chevy mechanic do it after work took him 5 minutes

3. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

I'd just let them come on as long as they still go out when you shut the truck off. I've found a lot fewer people will pull out in front of you if you have your headlights on during the day, especially if your truck is grey or black.

4. hardwaterfan

yuck, really? :(

well, it has daytime running lights and i always leave those on.

5. Fish2day

Fish2day member

I love my Chevy trucks (in my 2nd Silverado). Those automatic lights drove me nuts at first so I dubbed it "Chevrolet for Dummies" and learned to live with it.

6. I should have watched him but he was done ...by the time I came out of the carry out ...the beer cost more than the part ,,but well worth it apparently the dash cover comes out easy

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

mine stay on all the time too. the only pain is when i am at the dock at night for the other guys trying to back in.

8. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

The older ones had a bypass by depressing the parking brake a little, or 1 click.

9. alot of chevys have a auto headlight disable, either by pushing the dome button in and out 3 times or turn the head lights knob on and off a few times, there is also a relay switch under the hood that you can remove to disable the daytime running lights if you want to go that route

10. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Some people may have overlooked this sentence, definately something wrong. Sorry I can't help you fix it. I did confirm w/ a friend that you have to take the dash top off to access the sensor.

11. Not sure if yours is like my 2007, but if you put papers etc on your dash it will cover the sensor and it will think its dark out. I know my lights never shut off becaisse of all the shtuff om my dash.

12. hardwaterfan

i really appreciate everyones advice!

message to GM: wiring harness, push in and turn. too easy??

i beleive you guys 100% but i dont see (inexperienced eyes :D) how opening up the dash could be easy. it encompasses the ENTIRE top of the entire interior of the truck. it goes on down beyond the glove box even, and the front panel behind the steering wheel is attached to it...its all one peice. even to each side, and no i dont want help ripping it open. lol.

it seems like if i took out the glove box i could get to it maybe. about 16" away as the crow flies. well this one will have to wait for warmer weather then.

thanks again and if anyone else has anything to say im all ears.

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

hardwaterfan, If I ever need to do work on my '03 Chevy pu I'm coming to you first. Seems like you have been all over yours already.
    How many miles do you have on yours?

Great question but our trucks are much easier to work on than their cars. I don't even bother with an oil change on cars anymore. Try changing the oil filter on their damn Trailblazer.

14. hardwaterfan

i just passed 88,000 a few weeks ago. it has been a really good truck, just a few small problems that are usually things i can research and fix, so i cant complain. nothing major. i did have a bad instrument cluster that GM replaced for free. (tach went nuts, then speedometer would read about 100 miles an hour all the time) i did have a bad distributor cap but that was fixed under warranty. and then just some other stuff like an oxygen sensor, thermostats (im on my third thermostat!)..i had to replace my vent valve on my EVAP system..stuff like that. not bad for 6 years of driving i guess.

oh yeah, yesterday my lights didnt come on during the day....lol stupid truck :D

15. Hardwater My 04 Trailbalzers is having crazy dash guage stuff. Oil pressure fluctuates from 0-80, battery is currently off the scale, tach at zero when its cold. Seems to be running fine though.

16. squid my moms trailblazer just had that problem recently something to do with the computer and radio that houses the BCM i think, ill find out.

hardwaterfan its not really that hard, there is a dash trim panel that goes around the radio and gauges, if you pop that off, behind that there will probally be either star bit screws or bolts, that will hold the top portion of the dash in place, GM always uses these bolts for every vehicle they make, if i remember right i believe the bolts are#10 metric maybe #11 been a while since ive ripped a dash apart, i had my s-10 apart to bare frame and body probally 15 times LOL

17. hardwaterfan

thanks for the info bassattacker.

im not 100% sure if the instrument cluster has the same problem i had, but heres what happened to me:

about the instrument cluster, did you guys not get the letter from GM? you should call them or look into it right away. its not a "recall", they called it something else.....but they extended the warranty on the instrument cluster to 70,000 miles on my truck, not sure about other models... i was at 73,000 and called GM directly and asked them to replace mine, which they did.

at first my tach would go up and not come back down, which i really dont care about, the tach isnt really useful to me anyway. but then the speedometer started acting crazy, it would read about 30-60 miles above my actual speed, and that is pretty unnerving and makes it pretty tough to watch your speed so you dont get a ticket, etc....

its the actual controls for the dial arrows or whatever theyre called, they can be fixed but the instrument cluster has to be pulled out and then repaired, or replaced altogether.

my truck always ran fine, when i first saw the tach around 6000 on the highway i freaked out.....but it was just the readings not the truck.

18. iTS A CHEVY WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? lol GET A DODGE OR fORD