close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BlueBoat98, Mar 14, 2005.

1. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Who knows how to catch the hatchery trout that DNR is releasing all over the state? It's been so long since I've had anything but my cat pulling on a line that I'm thinking about stopping by Clark Lake this week.

MC

2. Check out the steelhead threads and use the jig/maggot/egg bobber that we use... I use the same deal for stocked trout too...

3. I know from personal experience that the first week or so Powerbait seems to be the best bet, especially in the chartruese and yellow variations. I have seen them hit everything from spinners, worms, flies and minnows. Take a variety of baits since one day they will only hit powerbait then the next only minnows of spinners.If you are going to keep the trout, Fish the power bait on a slip rig about 12"-18" off the bottom on a small treble size 12 to 16. If you are not going to keep the trout I do not recomend this method since they usually are belly hooked and will not survive, plus you will lose a lot of rigs if they swallow them deep.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

don't forget to add some whole kernel corn to your selection,and fish it on a 3 way rig.as gmr said,their taste for baits can change from day to day.

5. I beleive gmrkatman has the best rig and bait combination going for the trout that are being stocked. The only other thing that i suggest is to use the self hooking type gamkosu(you know what im trying to spell) hooks. Trout can be spooked very easy, so what works for me is the same slip rig gmr taught useing the lightest sinkers possible just enough to make a good cast, the power bait supplies quite a bit of extra weight by its self, and dont be stingy with it because it floats on the bottom it doesnt give much resitance to the nervous trout. A nice ball of powerbait about a hair smaller than a sugar cube, because it dissoves in the water. And last make sure the hook is completely covered...sit down your rod, and let the fish do the rest !!!!!!

6. Use same technique as if fishing for Crappies. Use Crappie minnows and vary depth until you get a bite. If they do not hit minnows, switch to whole kernel corn. Good luck!

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you guys happen to know approx. what time they are stocking these trout??
    thanks..

8. BlueBoat98

The DNR website and the Springfield paper (Sunday) don't say the time, only that the Clark Lake release will be on Wednesday, the 16th. It may not matter because that lake is apparently still mostly frozen over. I may be able to swing by there tomorrow afternoon to check it out. I'll post here if I make it.

MC

9. i use strickly power bait in chartruese,green-yellow and sometimes all they will hit is orange. small minnows and small spinners. power bait on bottom with bb size splitshots.bait will float up off bottom.

10. crappielooker

a friend of ours went over there and took a few pictures, it didn't look frozen to me.. altho i know it had to be pretty cold.. :)
    maybe i'll try using plastic corn.. should work swell..lol..

11. BlueBoat98

Well... since the Springfield News Sun reported yesterday that it was frozen, I'm guessing that there's not even an ice cube out there.

MC

12. crappielooker

lol..nope..not that i can see from the pics..

13. Hope U Guys Get Out ! Me And My Old Fathers Used Velveta Cheese Rolled Up In The Pits For Them. Again Good Luck And Post Some Pics! :)

14. Powerbait & corn on bottom, I also like a popeye jig tipped w/ a waxworm 2-3 ft under a small bobber. Last year I did really good w/ a spinner (called a spider) tipped w/a waxworm. I used to get them (spiders) @ beaver lake but I was told the guy that made them passed away so I haven't been able to find any for the last couple years, I just happened to find one while going over some old tackle. Well yesterday I was @ Marine works on Bird rd. & was surprised to see they had some there, I guess a local is making them. If you want some you better beat me there :D Corn works almost any time , but I really like it later in the week when the trout scatter, it seems if you throw a couple handfuls out it keeps them in the area a little longer so you can catch a couple more before they move. Oh yeah, the lake is full of carp & they love corn !!! I think usually they don't stock until about 10 or 11 am because they drive from the Castaila hatchery.

15. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Castalia? WOW! Why would they bring them from all the way up there as opposed to stocking from the hatchery at London. I suppose they stock the London trout up somewhere around Cleveland, LOL. Seems like a waste of fuel to me.

16. I believe that is what they told us ,year before last, because there was people @ the dock first thing in the am & everyone was wondering where they was. I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time LOL !

17. BlueBoat98

I went by Clark Lake this afternoon. As predicted by Crappielooker, there is no sign of ice anywhere. The release is sometime tomorrow. I won't make it until Thursday P.M. They're only releasing 3000 fish. I hope you guys leave a few.

MC

18. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I'll be taking my 6Yr. old Grandson as soon as he gets out of school. It will be about 3:30 PM before we get a line in the water.

19. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

He caught four in about 45 minutes on Powerbait. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Way To Go Little Guy!!!!! Nice Catch