close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout - Shadow Lake

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dday, Apr 7, 2004.

1. I read Shadow's going to stocked with trout tomorrow. Was planning on hitting it this weekend. There probably won't be any room to fly fish, but what do I use to spin fish for trout?

(have never done spin fishing for trout)

thanks!!

DDay

btw - caught my first bass of the year last wed. Only a pound or so, but was my first of the year!!! :D

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Spinners? I like rooster tails. My favorite color is firetiger. (its orange/green) Although I have done good on white and yellow and red also. (In that order) I dont know the sizes but they are "in the middle". Actually I would use the lightest size that you can cast a good distance. I dont use any swivels or additional weights. Make sure the blade is spinning. Sometimes they dont spin and you have to give the line a little jerk. You will feel more resistance if the blade is spinning properly.

And I tip them with a piece of redworm for scent.

But I dont do too good until the water warms up. You might want to try jig and maggots as well.

Good luck.

3. hardwaterfan

I think I might have misunderstood....if you are talking about using spinning rods then I would try jig and maggots under a bobber on one rod and powerbait 1-2' above a sinker fished off the bottom on another. (Unless you want to release them, then I would stay away from the powerbait. They really swallow that stuff.) Try the color pink for power bait. Also you could try a piece of worm under a float, ice fishing jigs with either a peice of bait or power bait, and guys also use other baits such as corn and dog food. Or you could give spinners a shot but I think the water is a bit cold for that.

4. Yeah, I meant spinning reel. I'm keeping some for my dad, otherwise I'd throw them all back. Will let you know how I do.

DDay

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

We use 2" white, black, and camo curly tail grubs for lures, and nightcrawlers and powerbait. I think the best powerbait color is rainbow! :p

6. hardwaterfan

The water was VERY stained today but I managed to coax a few rainbows out of the water. Overall, most were complaining about them not biting well if at all.

The bait that worked best for me was a white jig tipped with a pea size nugget of powerbait.

I saw some really funny stuff....you can tell people who dont fish much....some kids were asking this guy if he had any extra "magnets" (maggots) and a little 3 year old boy who was really fishing hard finally caught a trout and when his dad helped him land it he went running away in terror....it was so funny! I saw one kid catch a rainbow on a cane pole.