close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout release dates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CHOPIQ, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Here are the dates for the trout releases:

Lake County Date/Notes
    BLUE ROCK LAKE MUSKINGUM October 13
    RUSH RUN LAKE PREBLE October 14
    BLUE LIMESTONE PARK DELAWARE October 14
    SYCAMORE S.P. POND MONTGOMERY October 14
    LIMA LAKE ALLEN October 14
    NORWALK RESERVOIR HURON October 14
    CROSSROADS POND CRAWFORD October 14
    LAMBERJACK LAKE HANCOCK October 14
    TAWAWA LAKE SHELBY October 15
    SCIOTO TRAIL AREA LAKES ROSS October 15
    GRANGER POND LAKE October 15
    PAINESVILLE REC PARK LAKE October 15
    PETROS LAKE STARK October 15
    OHIO/ERIE CANAL CUYAHOGA October 15
    TIMBER RIDGE LAKE LAWRENCE October 15
    YOCTANGEE PARK LAKE ROSS October 15
    HERITAGE PARK POND FRANKLIN October 21
    FOUNDATION LAKE KNOX October 21
    OLANDER LAKE LUCAS October 22
    ROSE LAKE HOCKING October 22
    ANTRIM PARK LAKE FRANKLIN October 22
    STONELICK LAKE CLERMONT October 22
    LAKE ALMA VINTON October 22
    GRAND LAKE ST MARYS AUGLAIZE October 22
    EYMAN PARK PONDS FAYETTE October 22

Get Directions to Fall Trout Stocking Locations

2. I have never fished any of these lakes immediately following stocking. I may try to this year as one of the lake is in my area. What is the primary method that most people use one these trout? And what size are the fish that they are stocking?

Thanks

3. The majority of the trout released in the lakes here in southern Ohio are 10-13 inches. I fished a lake two days after a release last fall and got my limit of five on a small roostertail. I would see them along the shore and then throw past them. THey would usually hit it when you brought it past. However fished three more times without getting one.
    Alot of guys will use the Berkly powerbait and cheese on a small hook with just enough weight to get it out. THey will look for the trout hitting by watching the line. Some guys use bobbers also. In short, no one method works every time.
    If you stick with small spinners (mepps or roostertails) and the powerbait, then you stand a chance of getting a couple. Good luck!

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I went the day after stocking to Cenci in the spring and caught 5 in about 2.5 hrs. Caught the first one on my second cast and the second one after 45 min. Lost 3. Used a rooster tail that had orange, yellow and green coloring and an orange/black sticker on the blade. What a blast and this is one of the few times I will keep fish. MMMMM good! I went to Rose lake this past weekend and I think I'll go back on the 23rd. Beautiful lake! Plus good exercise. It's a real nice .5 mi. walk to the lake.

5. I had thought perhaps small spinner would be the ticket. I may try to take the boys out there next week.

Thanks for the info.

6. Aligator spoons work well! With kids slip bobbers and trout bait should keep them busy! That seems to work the best with little effort!!

7. Jig and maggots work well, or sometimes just maggots on a hook. As far as throwing lures, I've always had good luck with 1/16 black rooster tails.

8. how many of the lakes and ponds can you use a boat at. at foundation park you cant use boats. i know last year there were a lot of people there the first two weeks.

9. Is Jeff Lake getting any trout this year ?

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Not sure about all of them but I know most of the listed one you can't have a boat on. Besides I don't think a boat give you any more advantage.

11. jeff lake is stocked only in spring after belmont lake at barcamp

12. I found these releases on www.ohiodnr.com. On the main page to the right there is a block called trout releases. It show maps and the rules and such.

13. Anth,

I am not sure what the rules say on Foundation Park but I see guys with small boats out on the lake all of the time. They don't have a ramp buy it seems to be no problem putting in a john boat or small bass buddy, etc. Even belly boats are used there all of the time. Again I did not read the posting there to know for sure so you may want to check to be sure. I just wanted you to know that guys use boats.

I noticed the ODNR site says that only the first lake on the left when entering the park is the one that will be stocked. I did not catch any yet but I have always been told that you can catch them in the lake on the right. Did they change the lake that they stock or do they alternate? I am just curious. I would hate for me to go out and target trout in a lake that has none.:rolleyes:

14. I stopped by Foundation Park this afternoon and read the sign for the park regulations. It is legal to use a boat in the lakes as long as it is hand launched, or any other words no trailer launch/load. The only other regulation is that it is electric motor only.

I hope this helps.