close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trout on the mad river...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by xmatthewx, Sep 30, 2007.

1. xmatthewx

xmatthewx facebook.com/xmsdx8

i'm heading out to the mad river tomorrow hoping for some trout. any suggestions for decent places to go around the springfield area? i'd appreciate any advice that anyone has to give.

2. A buddy of mine and I went out yesterday for about 3 hours and only caught two small browns. We were using nightcrawlers and the chubs were loving it LOL. The leaves are starting and makes it kinda hard to detect a bite. Only saw two other fishermen and both were flyfishing. Anyway good luck and give us a report. Ol we were fishing at Dallas road....Dan

3. xmatthewx

thanks... i don't have any fly equipment, or spinning for that matter. so, i'll just be throwing a couple small rooster tails to see if i can get any action.

4. I decided to try again today and fished Tremont City and caught two more. Only there about a hour & half. One was about 14" and the other was around 11". Hope you did better than I did......Dan

5. We used to fish off of 36 west of Urbana quite a bit - nice area

6. xmatthewx

thanks... i've never been trout fishing before, so i'm hoping to land one soon. i hit the mad river today, near medway, caught a drum, a smallie and a largemouth, fishing inline spinners.

7. xmatthewx....Sounds like you had a good day :) If your looking to land a trout I still say north of Springfield is the place to go. I've fished the Mad for over 20 years and kinda know this part of the river. If you want to chat about it you can PM me or email me. Once you hook up with a nice one you'll be hooked. Again sounds like you had a great day......Dan

8. xmatthewx, if you are looking for trout head north of Springfield. If you stay above Urbana you will be in trout and can catch them on inline spinners. Keep in mind that you may want to flatten your barbs. Do you live around Medway? I live just out of there, maybe we could hook up sometime and I could show you some of the Mad trout areas.

9. xmatthewx

Walter, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. i would like to get out there with someone who really knows that part of the river. let me know the next time you plan on heading out there.

10. Small spoons work well for the brown too. I was sceptical at first, but after a float trip a few weeks ago I hooked into several with a dark chartruece, red line down the center, and black eye spoon.

I think Flathead King was the one who suggested it to me. Perhaps he can chime in and give more of a discription. I suck at remembering names of lure patterns.

And ya, north of springfield is the ticket. I read on another site that a 26" brown was caught around Urbana. The hole was not disclosed.

11. xmatthewx

yeah i wouldn't imagine they would disclose that hole. i need to go out and get some more spoons. thanks for the tip.

12. i heard about the 26in brown in urbana, lovely pic, a gorgeous worm caught fish.... but atleast they get that big there, or did

13. midoh39

midoh39 member

I'm thinking of heading up around Urbana or Medway for the trout any suggestion on access pionts, and I'm guessing worms and rooster tails should be the trick.
    Thanks

14. Any road between Springfield and Urbana should be good. I like Eagle City,Tremont City and Dallas roads. If your fishing with nightcrawlers,make sure you take a few dozen as the CHUBS are hitting like crazy. Be sure to hit the "Log Jams" heavy. If you can get your bait pass the chubs you'll hook a trout. I'd be out today but have a TON of yard work to do. GREAT luck and let us know if you do any good......Dan

15. You guys fishing spinners need to check out the Lazor Eye (Bass Pro Shops)