close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout in the SW?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NKUSigEp, Jul 16, 2007.

1. What's the closest river, stream, or lake with a good trout population?

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

mad river...try the stretch of it between westville and rt. 29 or rt. 36 not too sure which one it is...but it has a good population of browns in it....went 2 weeks ago with a buddy wading it and caught 23 between the 2 of us...released them all, bu tthe biggest was 17"

3. The route 36 crossing of the mad is the hot spot. Lots of area is wadable and they even have a mowed path along the side of the creek for anglers.

29 crosses the mad further north and offers some opportunities, but 36 is where most angler target the trout (at least this far south).

Many argue north parts of the mad river offer better numbers, at least that is the word from most flyfishermen. West Liberty and Zanesville towns both have parks where the mad runs through town.

I am trying to attach a map of the mad that shows points along the river to park and fish. Never had much luck attaching on this site, but giving it a try...

Attached Files:

4. Yeah, I've searched a bit on here and the Mad River seems to be the best bet. Still a bit far away (Harrison/Lawrenceburg area).

What do you catch 'em on and what time of day is best to go?

I've had a fly rod for about 10 years now and haven't gotten it out once but would like to start putting it to good use.

And how do trout taste?

5. Flathead King 06

well...i have fished the mad sveral times by fly rod in the areas where whiskers and myself have said, and done fairly well on terrestrials and midges... your best bet is to just use live baits with ultralight tackle though...nightcrawlers, minnows, leeches, waxworms, all drifted through the holes with a single sliptshot about 18" up from your bait...they really smash it...never really fished later than 12:00pm on the river, but havent ever really needed to...we always go out around 5am and fish from bridge to bridge by wading...trout are excellent table fare

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

i'd go with the mad. it has a goog pop. and some decent ones if ur lucky! good luck!

7. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

I don't think you are allowed to use live bait at the Mad River.

8. Flathead King 06

i think you can use live bait on the mad....just no barbed hooks...maybe a pretty regular fisherman of the mad can chime in and enlighten us on this subject

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

OGF mbr, Salmonid is a guide on the Mad River, I'm sure he will know if you can use live bait. Me personally, I can not understand why you wouldnt be able to. To me that doesn't make much sense, but then again I'm not a trout fisherman.

10. The State of Indiana stocks trout in the Whitewater River below Brookville Lake. I know people who fish for them but I have no idea where.

11. i would take brookville over the mad hands down, clear water some very big fish and the numbers of fish are outrageous. the only backdraw is that they can be very difficult to catch, if you can ask around at some of the fly shops and they usually have good reports. i know for a fact sevenx's shop in milford has very up to date reports and carries the flies you need. as a warning without the right flies you will get very frustrated with your bait passing over the heads of dozens of trout that you can see. also if you havnt fished a fly in a while it may be prudent to hire a guide for the first trip to show you how and where to fish.

12. Present trout regulations for all Ohio's inland trout streams are the same, only 2 fish over 12" may be kept a day, and you may use any type of bait that you like, but if using live bait be very careful to set the hook quickly so they do not swallow it,barbless hooks are strongly recommended, they have soft mouths so it doesnt take much to hook them, and as always, be very careful releasing the smaller ones so that in a few months, you ll have more bigger ones.

Salmonid

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Whay do you have to be so gentle? I mean, their "just trout". :confused: Besides the flatheads like them dead or alive. ;)

Okay, just kidding. I know why buddy Salmonid is wanting to stick a trebble hook in my back for those thoughts! :)

14. Flathead King 06

HAHAH...they can be some of the best bait when channel fishing...;) and are excellent table fare themselves....but thanks for clearing that up for me salmonid...yuo an affiliate of mad river outfitters?