close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trout flies for the newbie

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by bkr43050, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Hey guys! I am relatively new to the fly fishing. I have owned an old rod for years and have used it a bit for bass and gills. I decided to get it back out and tinker a bit with it. There is a lake here local that they stock annually with trout. I was out the other day and saw a few small ones cruising the shallow edges. Also, I saw an occasion roll on the surface which made me want to try the fly rod. My question is what type and size flies would be the best for this time of the year? I have a somewhat limited supply of flies but I can always go shopping if I need to.;) I am not looking to get real serious about the fly fishing but I would like to experience a bit of success on the trout fishing.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nymphs are good at this time and dragon flies should work as will small streamers.Goto www.flyanglersonline.com there you can look at flies and also ask ?'s that thousands will see and you can get many Ideas on what to use.

3. Another good one is www.flytyingforum.com. I got tired of some of the attitudes on FAOL and found this site which I really like.

4. I added both sites to my favorites for future reference. I also found a great link from the last site that listed pictures of many of the common hatches. That is really helpful for me.

Thanks!