Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't see a trout section so i'm gonna post this here:

but i'm heading to the mountians of NC for some trout fishing. it's my second trip - i was the newbie last time. but i did pretty well.

basically we strap on the waders and walk the streams with our ultra lites casting 4 lb test with 2 or 3 split shots about 12 inches above a small hook with red worms or corn. a couple guys had better luck fishing along riffles but i had good luck letting my bait flow into & around deeper holes.

anyone care to share some tips or techniques about this type of fishing? or point me in the right direction. it's all new to me. but i was easily addicted.

i should point out that there were a LOT of snags in these streams. that was probably the most irritating part....if there's one thing i could work on - it would be finding a way to not lose some many hooks! :eek:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Fishing Georgia streams and rivers in much the same way I found it much better to use medium gear instead of ultralight. With 8 to 10 lb. line that will let you keep more of your hooks when you get snagged. This worked fine in rivers and medium sized streams. Very small streams you may have to go lighter, or if most of the trout are stream bred. In most areas you will probably be catching mostly stockers and the heavier gear wont bother them as much. Also, be sure to be on the water just before it starts to get light out in the morning since they bite best at that time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry so late. When are ya coming down this way? What water are you fishing? I have been trying my luck on the trout streams since I moved here last summer. I cant comment of bait fishing because all ive been able to do is flyfish for the fish. I havent lost any gear to snags though on the waters I fish. I know some Ive looked at are far more snag oriented. First thing in the am or late in the day have been the best times for me. Ive been doing well on small egg patterns or small wolly buggers. If you snagging up alot, try one less shot, might help. or try a small bobber. The stocker fish are no where near are picky as the wild fish. They will get worse as they are fished for longer but they are fun none the less.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can't remember the name of the town we stay in - it's near Franklin i think. i'd have to find out.

i'm definitely gonna try a lighter presentation this time. and also gonna try with small bobbers. i recall them saying these streams were stocked.

thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Franklin, in western NC , is very near some great water from what i hear. Alot of streams down here are stocked with trout so there would be agood chance for that. I was just out saturday and got a few but nothing major. I think the approaching storm shut them down. Still had fun though. I've been finding small eggs in pink have been good producers along with small nymphs. I was getting a few on dries too. Give it a go and have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts