Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys fillet your trout, do you get a line of bones in the meat? I'm not talking about the ribs. I am getting a line of bones in the fillet that appear to be impossible to remove without destroying the meat.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Yep, the pin bones...perfectly normal. I just fillet them like any other fish and cook as normal. When cooked the bones pertrude and you can easily remove them then. You can also fillet them them out, but that takes some experience. Some also use needle nose pliers to remove each pin bone when the fish is still raw...to each his own.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I get those bones too. Easiest to take them out after cooking.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
834 Posts
So far I've been cutting them out when the meat is raw. I tried to cut a V where they're at and then pull from one end. I'm brand new at doing this.

It seems like one could get good at it without losing too much meat. The salmon fillets that we buy from the fish market in the UP do the same thing. Make sure your knife is sharp.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Right, a sharp knife is key...I just make a slit along both sides of the pin bone line and follow the bone all the way down to the skin. When you get to the bottom on both sides, just make a cut paralleling the skin to cut out the row of bones. Minimal meat loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts