close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trotline vs Tourneys

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Deadwood, Jun 13, 2005.

1. A couple weeks ago there was a thread on here about "Jug Fishing" and it went from jug fishing to Trotlines. I noticed almost 100% of the people were against trotline fishing. I also noticed some of the people knew what ther talking about and some were just blowing smoke. 1 person even admited to being a thief.
    Seems the thought is that a guy sets a trotline and 12 hours later comes back and has 50 stressed out fish on the line.
    I am going to get the flame thrower turned on me for this, but which stresses a fish out more, 2-3 hours on a trotline (most trotlines ARE ran every 2-3 hrs) and released.Or at one of the tournaments taking an all night boat ride in a livewell or tied up to the boat all night, then hauled out of the water, carried around for several minutes, weighed, several minutes more out of water while people look at it etc.
    I have fished with trotlines a few times a year for over 60 years, never killed a fish with one, never sold a fish in my life, and 99.5% of the fish I catch (rod & reel or trotline) are returned to the water in seconds.
    I won't fish for $$$ and have never been around a catfish tournament but I have launched at ramps in mid late summer after a Bass tournament and many times I have saw dead bass around the place where they weigh in.
    Most people on that Jug Line thread was for laws against trotline fishing, seems today the younger people have the attitude of "If I don't do it lets stop everyone else from doing it". or "To Hell with them even though they are doing a legal activity I'll just steal there equiptment.

2. Well put Deadwood!! :D
    Tory :p

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

no flames from here,deadwood:)
    trotlining and jugging are very old,traditional methods.in years gone by,it was done more for food,as my family did.even though i'm sure there are some people who don't use them in an ethical manner(or any other method for that matter),those methods are perfectly legitimate,and i think a lot of people using them are more of the traditionalists like yourself.doing it to keep the art alive,and maybe have some fish to eat.
    i think the followng is also true
    the c&r crowd gets too personal about some issues.and some people just don't want to open their eyes to other options.
    some may look at it as an easy way to load up on fish,but you and i know that there's a lot of prep and work involved in doing it "right",along with the fun.
    now i don't like it when anyone uses any method to pillage our wildlife,but i also don't like it when people negatively,lump everyone in the same group,just because,for some reason they don't like the way they pursue their hobby in a way that they enjoy.
    the day i'd catch someone stealing or damaging my equipment(if it's legal) just because they don't like it,would not be a good one for either of us :mad:

4. Just out of curiosity, why would anyone run a trotline and practice C&R (99.5%)?

5. For us it was something to do and jsut to see what you could catch ;)

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

as i mentioned in my previous post,it is an old traditional method,which involves not only a lot of work,but can be an enjoyable way to spend the night on a stream.i sit all night long at times,hoping to get just a bite from a big flathead,only to release it.if i were able,i'd spend lots more time doing so,and never keep a fish.same thing.it's about the enjoyment one gets from it.whether it be wading a stream,tossing a fly for smallies,or running a trotline,for some of those who do it,it is just being one with nature,and enjoying what you love doing.

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Interesting, To answer the question. I don't know. 2-3 hours on a line vs. 10-12 I'm sure would make a difference. In a 12 hour cat tournament, that would depend on heat, size of the livewell, oxigenation, etc too. I think it's apparent that several trotlines with 50 hooks can potencially catch quite a few more fish than a guy with 2 hooks and two rods. Also they won't be on the line up to 12 hours. Of course, most fish won't be caught the 1st minute it hit's the water (trot line). Usually they are targeting catfish, which have no size or creel limits. I've always heard if a big flathead gets on one, they spin & twist it up getting many of the hooks imbeded in them. Doesn't matter unless it's a C & R I guess. I guess if some guy pulled up a trotline with about 20-30 nice smallies & LM bass on it, it would be interesting.
    With the increased pressure and the amount of anglers & the improved techniques and electronics, super lines, etc, etc. I would wager that more fish are caught today than ever before. Maybe not a per/outing count but I'd bet on a statewide poundage count. How much can the resources withstand? I don't know. It's also not a necessity to feed one's family from the wild today as it was in years past. I believe more fishing is done for sport than for food purposes. When I was a kid, nearly every fish was kept so long as it was legal, carp were always tossed on the bank.
    This ought to be an interesting thead & it will keep misfit on his toes......

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

My stink about lines is the guys who keep every fish they catch and do no care about killing off the fish population. the guys who put there lines in places they are not supposed to. The guys who keep the large fish that are the stronger breeders. Then they will have the nerve to complain about not catching many fish. My attitude is not if I don't do it nobody else should. I have done it several times just to catch a few eaters. Can't brag much about a fish you caught on a drop line or jug line. it is not like you really fished for it. That is my point of view.

If fishing is just throwing a bunch of lines out and checking them later, then I must have never learned what fishing was all about

I would also just put lines out to only release fish if I were doing a survey for the odnr, but I am not with them.

9. Awsome...Another person who trotlines...I got a little bit of crap from all these guys about trotlining when I first started posting about a month or so ago, Alot of people think that rod and reel is the only REAL way to catch fish...But there is nothing better than going to check a line and seeing it bobbing up and down where its tied, You know you got some fish on...Just Saturday nite-sunday morning we caught 18 cats on 2 trot lines, maybe had out 45-50 hooks, We had 7 guys fishing includeing me and my dad...we cleaned i think 6 fish and everyone took 1 fish...We had 4 shovel heads biggest was 16 lbs and we threw them all back, All the rest were channel cats up to about 6 lbs...But like Deadwood said trotlining is almost like an ancient art now days...my family has been doing is since the early 1900's when my great granpa started trotlining the Walhonding River, Kokosing River, Killbuck Creek and other places...Also I think that alot of people who criticize trot lining have probably never fished with trot lines before and have no idea how fun it is...

10. There are a few young guys who still like to run trot lines. I'm 27 and love to run trotlines and jug fish and I'll agree its not really fishing but there are lots of things I like to do that are of the outdoor nature that are not fishing. Heck one of my favorite things to do is sein up bait, its not fishing but is something to do outside and I really like it. I cant really explain why I like to do it just the same way you cant make someone who does not like to fish unerstand why you like it so much. There are a lot of reasons, just being outside, seeing what you can catch, getting bait, splashing around in the water on a hot summer day and just having a good time with my dad and brothers. We have kept lots of catfish over the years but usually we would maybe get 4 or 5 in a night and there have been nights where we got a dozen or more and would release half of them and some nights we released them all. As far as a big cat getting caught up in a bunch of hooks, its never happend to me. Our dropper lines were always about 3 feet apart, maybe we just never caught one big enough! Have got gar and sheephead before on them but never any smallies but would think you would get a smallies once in a while.

11. I read the regulations governing trotlines, and there are very few places (outside of streams) where it is legal to use a trotline. However, does anyone know what the definition of stream constitutes? I know that in other publications, the ODNR makes a distinction between rivers, creeks, and streams. Just curious if it is in fact legal to use a trotline in a creek? A river?

12. Good point rooster, I never new there was a difference between a stream, creek and river. I dont think you can set them in lakes but can jug fish in most lakes.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I can see how Trotline are popular in the south there are WAY more cats than than are here. I think what you will find here are that we are against Trotlines, Limblines, Jugs, etc.... what we are not in favor for & I am one of them is the keeping of the majority of these fish, espically the big ones. Notice I didnt offend anyone, or get on a soap box, if what your doing is legal...... fine, but we all have our opinons.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Whoops, almost forgot. I guess it sounds like you guys follow the law, but as with everything else, a bad few can ruin it. Another reason I cant stand limb lines has to do with something that happened at Lake Logan 2 years ago. I spoke to a Ranger who found two 40# Flatheads limbed lined the night before a Big Cat Toruney. He said no doubt these fish would have been turned in as being caught in the tourney.

15. the distinction is made depending on the length of the flow. I'm not 100% on these lengths, but it is something like this:

stream = <50 miles of length
    creek = > 50 miles, but <100 miles
    rivers = 100 miles+

These lengths are not pulled from state regs or anything - just coming from my memory.

As far as jugging and limblines - All legal means are ok with me; it is the overharvesters I have a problem with, both legal & illegal. My $.02.

16. Bottom line is this, if a meat hunter wants to keep a whole lot of fish he will find a way be it rod and reel trotlines jugs limb lines what ever. Lets not get upset at the method a person uses to catch fish, as long as its a legal one, and worry more about the people who take more fish than they need and keep the bigger fish. I would bet there are just as many people who go out catfishing and use 4 or 5 poles each and catch a lot of catfish as there are people who run trotlines and catch lots of fish.

17. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I disagree with this in so many ways. First of all, you could pin me as being in the "younger" crowd. I'm 23. There are a lot of things that I don't do. For example, I don't play soccer, but I'm not against people going out and playing. The list goes on, sorry but saying that younger people think we should stop people for doing stuff, just because we don't partake it in really makes no sense at all.

Some of the younger fisherman are getting to see first hand of what over harvest has done to a lot of species, and only get to hear about "how it use to be." When I say that I'm against something in the fishing world, it mainly has to do with being a conservationist, and only hoping that someday my kids can enjoy what I've been able too. The younger generation seems to be more geared towards conservation, where as the "older" crowd was brought up, and in many cases actually needed to keep the fish they kept to feed the family.

When it comes to speaking about jug fishing, and trot line fishing, it typically but obviously not always means "fishing" for food. There was news coverage of noodling, where the state permited a few fellows to go out and noodle even though it was illegal. The men mentioned it was "their heritage" and they wanted to "keep the sport alive." Ironically the state had made it illegal because their "heritage" was destroying a fishery. I suppose you could say slavery use to be "heritage" in the south... but for some reason they stopped it....I wonder why?

Anytime I see a "younger" person stand out against so called "meat hunting" it makes me feel great. I know that there is one more person out there that will pass on their conservationist ideals, and allow our sports to survive. Okay, so you might be saying that sounds crazy, as if the people that keep their catch are going to decimate the populations, and I say correct the few people out there keeping fish arn't going to destroy fisheries. It's been said a million times, and I'll say it again, imagine if everyone kept everything they caught? So whenever you "old timers" feel that were knocking you for keeping fish, thank us for releasing fish, so that you can catch it at a later date and put on the table.

You really can't teach an old dog a new trick, but young dogs can be taught new tricks, and I'm thankful the majority of younger fisherman act the way they do.

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Wow, I just read this after making my post. Way to stand up and voice your opinion Jim :D

Guess you proved me wrong, old dogs can learn new tricks ;)

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Fishman, great post indeed!

20. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Fishman..23...you're a young pup... ;)
    Young pups can learn from the old dogs too, you know. :D Darn if you don't make me feel old.... Woof...Woof !!

These threads always get emotional for some, I've got bigger fish to fry at his stage. Fishing is my release, my "drug of choice" so to speak. :F
    I value the resouces and I also try to understand other's opinions and respect them even if I don't agree with it. Same way it's not for me to force mine on someone & be irritated if they don't agree with mine. Life is real short, you will understand only too soon. Hopefully you'll look back and remember and have an "Ah Haa" moment and say "Now I understand" ;)

The point? The point is we have limited resources today, which are shrinking daily with pollution, etc. Check out the post in the lounge about "Don't eat" all the contaminated waters. As farms & land becomes housing developments & super stores it will only become more limited.

I think we're all on the same page. Overharvest is a waste & with the present lack of creel limits, they allow for it. Change that and the problem is solved :D That's why I deluded to a trotline with smallies & LM would have an over limit with 20 fish....PS: I wasn't trying to prove anything either. I enjoy all the comments by everyone.