Trophy?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by One Legged Josh, Feb 5, 2008.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Im not a total rookie when it comes to Steelhead I have caught Quite a few over the last 4 years. My question is this: What size should I hold out for to put on the wall? I have caught several at the 30" mark . What is the biggest Steelie all of you have caught?

2. If I were to have a replica mount made, the live fish would have to have been 35".

3. I would say 34. The fish seem to be smaller this year, so a 30 incher is pretty good. But for the wall, a 34 incher would be very special.

4. 37" long 24" girth = 26.6 lbs Lake Ontario released to fish another day. It was a hen filled with eggs, but a 31" brown out of Lake Ontario holds a close second...

5. I would just be happy with a 32" that would make my day.

6. 32'' is my largest SO FAR. I'm holding out for that 15 lber. They are out there. For Ohio tribs that is the bench mark. 15 lbs. Roughly 34'' and up

7. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

15lbs is a definate wall hanger and anything over 33 inches is definately a special fish. If you don't fish all of the time, 32+ inches and 13lbs is perfectly acceptable as a trophy.

Dock Time

8. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

My personal best is 15.6lbs, officially weighed at Grand River Bait and Tackle and 34 3/4 inches. Beautiful fish....and I smile at her everyday!

9. This is the one I'm after to mount :)

Here is the record PA steelhead. It had a girth of 21.5 inches and was 20 pounds 3 ounces 36 ½ -inch.

[​IMG]

10. i caught this one 9 years ago out of the vermilion. he was 33 inches and 13 lbs. i had him on a stringer for a little while and eventually let him go since he was still spunky and i was waiting for a 15lber (which i lost that spring). to this day i kick myself for not getting it mounted. i would still like a 15lber but he was a really pretty fish and a 13lb male is a damn big fish for lake erie. plus i was only 16 yrs old so it would have had a little more value.

[​IMG]

11. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Attached Files:

12. geeze het, thats a whopper!

32+ is my minimum, would like a shiny hen.

I have caught as many or more steelies the ever but I agree with Arch. Quantity are plenty. Big fish seem few and far between.

13. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I have no idea where that fish came from, or who caught it. Someone emailed it to me. I thought others might enjoy seeing it.

14. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

i would say no less than 34 inches and would be better if thick. The way i look at getting a fish mounted... is that you wait for that fish of a lifetime. If you catch a lot around that size or almost that big why mount it. I would regret getting a fish mounted if I caught a bigger one the following year...Probably why I have yet to mount a fish...quite a few people have told me I should of mounted but I want the one that takes the breath away...Fish like that may take some years or luck...