close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trophy Crappie

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TheKing, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Here is Ricky Austin from the southwest region showing off his just completed trophy mount. The 18 1/4 inch white crappie weighed in at 3lb 6oz, just 3 ounces under the record. Several hours passed between the time he caught it and then weighed it and he was told that had he weighed it sooner it may have actually been the record. He brought it by the house this evening and I thought it was well worth the post. This is really a giant fish and a fantastic quality mount.

He fishes regularly with my nephew Chris and I am trying to get him to show me some successful patterns at Caesar Creek next year. Ricky has fished in one of the well known pro circuits in the Virginia area a few years back and is now an avid outdoorsman in southwest ohio.
    [​IMG]

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

3. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

(In my best Croc Hunter voice) "What a beauty!"

4. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

That is a true Trophy. What a hawg. Nice fish.

:)

5. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

That is one beautiful Crappie! Nice Job!!

Gene

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

But that isn't a white crappie. If you know your crappies, that fish has no bars. It's a black crappie. Look at it close and tell me i'm wrong. Or did the taxidermist remove the bars? Even if it was caught during the spawn, you should still be able to tell the difference. Regardless of which species it is, It's a really, really nice fish. :cool:

7. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Very nice crappie indeed.
    One way to tell for sure between white and black crappie is a black crappie will have 7 or 8 spines in the dorsal fin where as a white will only have 5 or 6. You cannot always rely on the markings of a crappie.
    Very nice fish!! :cool:

8. looks like the taxidermist did some mighty fine work.

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Nice fish, and good looking mount.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

one hell of a crappie.

And one hell of a good looking mount! Looks much better than the bass I had done!

11. Pike

Pike

Did that fish come from southwest Ohio, and if so what lake? Great fish!

12. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

That is huge. Too bad he didn't take it straight to a scale, because that's a pretty tough record to get, and one that would probably last a long time!

13. Nice fish whatever it is :).......is there a difference in records for white and blackcrappie?

14. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Excellant crappie!!!! That thing has shoulders. :) Raider(.)(.)

15. I can try to respond, but I am sort of waiting for Ricky to ring in. I am sure he has seen the posts.
    I counted 7 spines on this fish. From what I have read, this is not the total answer because some white crappies have seven. Up to this point it has been designated a white crappie, but maybe some here can add some more details. All I know is that the difference is in overall coloration, and that the spawn affects it somewhat.

As far as the body of water, all I can say is that is was in Greene county....right here in Southwest Ohio....."Monkster Crappie Country". It is also the home of Mike Beatty's World Record Deer.

16. AWESOME...
    THANKS for sharing the photo

17. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

All I can say is "wow, thats a sweet looking fish" Congratulations