close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trophy Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mcmd8700, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Got up this morning and hit the local pond and pulled out the biggest bass of my life. It was about 22 1/2" in length, and who knows how heavy (no scale), but he was heavy. Caught him on 8lb test line with a 4 inch yum dinger. Monster bass!! Of course no one was around to see my feat, nor did I have a camera. I did not think fish that size lurked in there. But I will always have the memory of that fish jumping three times (nail biting for me!), pull drag (light line), and finally me laying on my belly reaching as far as I could to lip him. He was released to grow and to be caught another day.

2. Man I need to get out and fish. From reading the posts on all the boards it looks like the big ones have gone on the feed. Congrats on your PR fish, hope you catch him again next year after he's grown some more.

Steve

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Very nice Bass, sounds like a blast!

4. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I havent fished a good pond in years.Use to have a few to go to,then moved away from the area,Ponds are great.

5. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Sounds like you had a blast, nice fish.

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Without a girth it's a little tougher to guess, but my normal weight guesstimate chart is like this:

14"- 1 lb
    16"- 2 lb
    18"- 3 lb
    20"- 4 lb
    22"- 5lb+ pretty easily- maybe 6 depending on the fish's shape. It gets dicey after the 20" mark- they can be big or small depending on their diet and the time of year. ( Spawning, post-spawn, etc.)

We caught 20" smallies in Erie that went 5lbs, but they were FAT footballs. Most Ohio LM bass are a little lacking in body size- they have big heads and mouths but their bodies tend to be smallish. However, 22 1/2" had to be 5 1/2 or better. Still a great fish for SW Ohio. Ponds are where it's at! Best place in the state to catch nice fish.

Nice job- too bad the camera curse hit!

UFM82

7. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Here is a link I found a while back. It is all guesswork, but this helps a little....assuming you can multiply and divide. I carry a calculator with me for these formulas :D

This formula seems to make the fish a little heavier than UFM82's estimates.

http://www.fishontario.com/articles/weight/

Terry

8. A 22-1/2" bass is a terrific catch anywhere. :cool: Glad you turned it loose and hope you catch it again. :)

9. Thanks all for the kind words. I wish I would have measures gerth. I never even thought about it. But I was so shaken and excited that I am just happy I got to measure him. He felt heavy, and was easily over 5 pounds. My buddy caught a 5 pounder (with a scale) in Guntersville this year, and he was definitely heavier than that.

I have been fortunate enough to catch a big crappie that weighed in at 3 lbs and was over 16 inched long, and did have the camera and scale for that one. I have learned my lesson, and will bring even a disposable along on my pond trips.