close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Angler Ron, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I see that ProBass and Cabelas both offer a "Trolling Plate" for outboard motors to help slow down the speed of the boat. Anyone have any experience with these on their engines? :T
    Buckeye Ron

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I've personally never tried one but have heard plenty of stories about them. Most complaints are forgetting to raise it and subsequently bending the brackets. Try a trolling bag(s) if you need to slow your troll. They cost about the same as a trolling plate and can be used as a drift sock as well. Notice also that there is a difference between a trolling bag and a drift sock. Most drift socks are not intended for trolling applications and will fail very quickly if used for trolling. On the other hand a good quality trolling bag will last for many years without any problems. I can give you more info if you're interested in a good trolling bag.
    Just my .02!

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

As is usual,

Hook N Book to the forefront with good sound advice.

Kim

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

ilooked into them at walleye central and the best one is the : happy troller. i have one on my 40hp, and it will slow you down to a standstill.the bags will work but are a pain to deal w/in a small 16ft or less boat. i tried it gets in the way .if deployed to one side it pulls on the steering all the time causing fisherman fatigue and you won't be able to let go of the steering to do anything, unless you put it in nuetral. i usually fish by myself so the pulling gets to be a big problem. on bigger boats 2 bags deployed on the R and L sides work better.try a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the bottom ,then you will know if a bag is for you .i only use the bag now to slow down a drift to target fish/structure.the happy troller at cabelas also works slightly as a hydrofoil.

5. :D Thank you for the information. Hook N Book if you could send me a PM on the Sock, I would appreciate that also. Can't find a :T " trolling sock" per se on the internet anywhere. Again, thanks.
    Ron :B Hunter

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

look for " sea anchor " at cabelas website.