close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling with VIB-"E"?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ocdfishguy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I made up about 100 1/4 oz. over the winter and wanted to know if anyone ever trolled them? If I lost any it would be all right but the last thing I want to do is snap the end off a rod. I thought I would run them below a slip float to keep that from happening. Any one tryed this? Do you think that they could be trolled or am I just wasting my time. Thanks for the advice.

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Bladebaits can be troled and many anglers do so. The older style real Vib-"E" had 3 line attachment holes and the front one was designed for trolling. Mark Martin, a PWT Pro, won an event on Erie a few Summers ago by trolling 1/2 and 3/4 ounce Vib-"E"s on leadcore. He was targeting fish suspended at 40 to 45 feet over 70 or more feet of water. You won't snap the end off a rod if your drag is set properly. Trolling with a lure under a bobber can indeed work for suspended fish. Trolling a bladebait for Saugeyes would be much tougher though, although some anglers have done well at Atwood using that presentation in certain areas. The bottom contact necessary for Saugeyes would result in constant snagging.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the professor has given great eye advise,as usual.
    since it's tough trolling them for saugeyes on the bottom,i go to other baits.i prefer to troll vibes for suspended fish such as crappies and white bass,with good results.also get the occasional channel cat while doing so :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Hey Misguided, sit down before you fall down. :D I wouldn't exactly call it trolling, but when I'm in cold water search mode I like using the electric to pull the vib-e just fast enough to feel it starting to wobble. I then keep it within a few inches of bottom while applying a very subtle lift-drop and tapping bottom occasionally. Best results are over hard bottoms. Like I said, this works for finding the biters. I then slow down and work em vertical with a variety of jigs, spoons, vib-e's, etc.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D you don't know how close that is to the truth :rolleyes: ;)
    that fish was caught on ultralight gear/4 pound test.it was about 7-8 pounds and had me crawling all around the boat before i finally got him to the net.wayne(grumpy) took the pic,after watching the long battle.before ehe got the pic,i almost fell in twice,when the fish flopped out of my hand and i grabbed for it :eek:
    that's a good technique for searching.sometimes i'll do the same with vibes and spoons,just by drifting with a stiff breeze in the right direction.that's how i got this one last summer with a hopkins :cool:

Attached Files:

• 8.8.jpg
      8.8.jpg
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
  6. Thanks for the info guys. The ones I made up have the 3 holes at the top. Last summer I was spotting fish on the fish finder in open water at about 4 feet, at griggs,during the day. Not sure what they were, they were schooled up and looked to be a good size, at least by the fish finder. I had thought about trying to troll for them this year, think I will give it a try. Thanks again.