close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling with Dipsys

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by The One, Jan 22, 2009.

1. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

Have a few questions for trolling the Eastern Basin for eyes. I am brand new to this concept with dipsys and it seems like the best way to go for the biggest bang for the buck. I plan to start small with two rods in the 8'-9' length and SG27+LC reels. With using only two rods will I need planer boards or will the settings on divers take them far enough from the boat? I'm thinking I would only need 000 and 001 sz. Is there better colors than others? I am thinking of going with the Walkers versus the Luhr as it seems less to monkey with. If I run 20lb power pro and say 12lb flouro leader would that be a decent set-up. Also I have never seen how the dipsy actually is placed on the line. Is it tied directly and then a leader? Or I have seen snubbers would the go on the leader side or the main line side. Any special knot to consider or swivels, releases etc. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I'll help out where I can here online but myself and Gary Zart are doing seminars that will cover dispy fishing in great detail this weekend both Friday and saturday, if you can make it.

I use the regular dispsy diver, it's what I've been using for years so I'm sticking with them, the only color I run is black or clear for the most part, when I'm steelie fishing as well I'll run some colors but black or clear is a safe bet, walleye won't spook due to all the flash in clear water. I typically only use the large dispey, they can cover the water column great, no need for small ones expecially in the central and eastern basin of Erie, the small ones at times will not even get deep enough and they don't release as well either.

No you do not need planer boards to run dispy's, if you tried it would even work do to the pull they have (why long beefy rods are needed)

Line- most guys favor 30/8 Power Pro of 40/10 either is fine, I've used both and really can't tell the difference although the 30/8 will go slightly deeper. I use 15 or 20 pound Flourocarbon leader with a quality snap on one end and for the business end where your spoon, crank or spinner goes you want a quality ball bearing swivel to eliminate line twist, I like Seaguar Flourocarbon, Carbon Pro or Invix.

Your main line attaches the dipsy with a large snap, you connect it to the "arm" part of the dipsey, so when you want to check your bait and pull it in or when a fish hits it the arm will release and stop the dispy from pulling so there is no resistance. On the other end goes your leader, I don't know how long your rods will be or how big of a boat but use the longest leader possible without it being hard to net fish, typically 6-7 ft.
    Snubbers are useful when Steelies are around, they fight very hard and hit like Mack trucks, they will clean you right off, so the rubber snubber acts as a shock absorber to hard fighting fish, when I'm targeting walleye I do not use one, if I'm spoon fishing for steelie and walleye like I do off cleveland I will typically use a snubber, clear or black only, Dreamweaver sells nice clear ones that won't rott out like the Jensen ones do.

I typically run 2 rods per side, one on a 3 or 3 1/2 setting then the inside line on a 2 setting, this is my typical spread of diver fishing, but you can run them however you like, just be sure your set them far enough a part so they don't tangle when fishing, turning, or re-setting lines. Make S turns while dispy fishing, walleye love when the bait speeds up or slows down, this often triggers strikes from following fish.

Hope this helps, attend the seminars if you can, it will shorten your learning curve greatly, or try and get out with another OGF'er that can show you the ropes of dispy fishing.

Kevin

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Starting with only two rods is a good idea. Learn to walk before you run. Put one on each side, set at 3 or 3-1/2. Vary your line out lengths so you can cover different depths. Speed up, the dipsy's rise, slow down, they fall. You can pull willow harnesses, spoons and shallow cranks on them. Speeds should be between 2.0 to 3.0 mph. Dipsy's and spoons are the easiest way to get some fish. (imo) Use a gps to mark where fish is caught and figure 8 the spot to try to zero in on it. Copper plated spoons are my favorites.

4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I use spinner rigs on dispsy's as early as May in the 1.4 and up range, a deadly tactic actually that Blue Dolphin preaches in his seminars, he's won tourney's in May pulling spinners off dipsy's around the islands, even colorado single blade spinners.

5. The One

Thanks so far and I will definitely try and make it Saturday.

6. Kevin, when pulling harnesses of the back of Dipsys how long of a leader is recommended?

7. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I fish out of Geneva to Conneaut. I'll add a little to what Kgone says. Most guys use 8 ft rods. Although some use longer or a combination of sizes, I fish 8 dipsies, 4 per side, and all my rods are 8 footers and I don't have any problems with dipsy separation. The important thing to me is to make sure all the equipment is the same (same model/action/length rod, same lines and same reels). This makes it much easier to read rods for trash or small fish. When you go up to 4 rods per side in a few years, you might find like I have, that heavy action dipsy rods are much easier to read and fish with. The whippy light action rods bend so much that the lines tend to get much closer together on a side, enabling more tangles. In the eastern end of the lake, the size 1 dipsy will take you down where you need to go (unless you are talking far east where a magnum might come into play). I looked at the numbers for magnum dipsies, and for Geneva to Conny, the dive angle on the magnum is so steep that you don't get enough lateral separation of the dipsies if you are running 3 or 4 a side. Most guys run 30lb powerpro for the main line. A 12lb fluoro leader is too light, I feel. If you need to crank down the dipsy release tension because of high waves, even with snubbers on the back of the dipsy, Steelies will clean you off. I run 25-30lb fluoro leaders, and I have had Steelies break 25lb test (Berkely Vanish) on the initial hookup. Seagar CarbonPro or P-Line semi fluoro is a good line for leaders (they come on 200+ yd spools for economy). My leaders are 10ft long. For my leader hardware, I run a good crosslocking snapswivel after the snubber, and I use a black #2 EagleClaw snap at the terminal end. To me, less extra bulk by the spoon = more fish. Duolock #2 snaps = lost fish.

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

The longest you can get away with, depends on how long your rod it, net handle and how far forward you can walk in your boat to let the net guy get a clean swipe for the net job. I usually run 6-7 ft, tourney fishing in in very very clean water I'll go 8-10.

9. The One

I only have a 16" boat so the most I ever seen running is 4 rods maybe two per side. Anymore than three people on the boat gets crowded at times. When you say set them at 3 and 3 1/2 what is that?

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

On the back or underside of the Dipsy you will find a weight that can be slid to either side depending on what side of the boat you want to run it on and how far it will plane out to the sides, the higher the setting 3 1/2 for example the diver will run the furthest away from your boat, but will dive down less deep the lower the setting the less outward swing it will have but will dive deeper, this is how you can run a few per side by spacing them out by the settings.

http://www.walleyeweb.com/tipstricks/trollingtipsdipsy.asp Read the info on this link it will help you out a little bit.

Attached Files:

11. Same here. I use Dipseys pretty regularly on Erie. A good harness set-up for two people is a Dipsey out each side on 3 1/2, then two bouncers/harnesses out the back.

12. old hunter

old hunter Outdoor Addict

We run 10 ft. rods on the 3 1/2 setting and 8ft rods on 2 or 1 setting,with 10 ft 20# fluorocarbon leaders,with snubbers.Down riggers 50 ft. of line out before attaching to the rigger.I have been using copper monkeypuke stingers,copper confusion,copper watermelom, with copper tape on the dipseys out of Geneva in August,Sept ,Oct.in 70 ft. of water and Lorain in June ,July. I had some orange dipseys and put the tape on as a joke and we killed the fish with that dipsey the first time up and need less to say I now have about 6 copper tape covered dipseys. We had our limit last year every time up but one and was only 3 short that time,with 4 guys on our boat.We go up about once a weekafter July.We use Okuma Convector SD30 reels and Erie Series rods.We get our spoons and rods out of Karran's Bait Shop in Geneva,she will treat you right.The reels are great,we have used Diawas,and others but all we use now are the Okumas,they hold up great.We use them on salmon too.We also run 2 to 3 mph and watch your turns ,don't turn too sharp.Use the same rods on both sides,like they said in previous replys so you can tell if a rod is messed up or dragging a small fish.Stay away from the white bass and sheephead!!!!!! ha-ha, The dipseys work,we haven't bothered with boards for about 5 years now. If we went up earlier we also would probably use some worm harnesses also.

13. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

6 foot leaders are about the standard, i agree. but dont give up on smaller ones either. i had a day off bula where i forgot the pool noodle that held my long leaders and all i had was some 3ft harnesses and we were already 15 miles out. well we cut off the hooks, removed all the hardware, tied on our spoons(didnt have snaps either), ended up catching 3 tickets that day and those leaders werent any longer than my arm. sold me on it. sure somedays longer leaders are better, especially in the clear, deep central basin, but it not always mandatory.:)

14. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

I am going to try more trolling this year also. I have orange dipseys with a yellow extender disk, how important is color? and if I were to paint one what paint has anyone used that seems to work the best. might try to keep one orange and paint the other to see which color works the best. thanks for all the great info.

15. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

the best paint by far is called fusion.....made my Krylon. Its a plastic paint, and it actually melts into the plastic. One coat and your done. I like black dipsies---flat black. Definitly try the fusion though, its sold at walmart

16. I fish Erie PA and Dipsy's are our main program. I run Dipsy's on 3 1/2 setting on 11 foot rods, 2 setting on 9 foot rods and 1/2 setting on 7 foot rods. I always run braid on the Dipsy rods. There are a couple benefits to running different size rods. First it's almost impossible to mix up which one goes where. The 3 1/2 setting goes in the forward rod holder, the 2 setting in the middle holder and the 1/2 setting in the rear holder. I use fixed mount holders for the dipsy rods because you never have to move them. I lay my rods flat out the side with a very slight difference in angle from each rod holder. Some guys seem to mount there dipsy rod holders facing up ward but we found out on a choppy day dipsy's will trip as you manuever over the swells. Also not as much change in speed on the dipsy's while going over waves. Our catch ratio with the rods laying flat increased significantly in rough water versus facing upward. Depending on the time of year and what your pulling speed could range from 1.3 pulling harnesses to 3.4 pulling spoons and stick baits. If your boat is set up correctly you should be able to fish 12-14 rods without tangles! This does require some serious thinking but can be done.

Attached Files: