Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 130 hp, 3l, mercruiser I/o powering my 22 ft aluminum boat. I have been trolling with bags to get me to the right speed. The problem is after running my motor at idle for any significant amount of time it starts puttering like it might stall.

Then after I am done trolling and go to take off the engine Boggs down for awhile.

Am I damaging my motor, what side effects could this cause. ? Is it a matter of time before she gets gummed up and leaves me stranded?

Any advice, input welcome.

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Your carb probably needs cleaned. I'd start by running sea foam in your gas tank. I personally treat every tank with ethanol treatment as well...it does make a difference...then I would buy a can of carb cleaner and follow the directions on your carb with it. If none of of that works, I'd have your carb rebuilt over the winter. I went thru the same thing with my 3.0 liter merc i/o.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
769 Posts
Depending on the rpm's you are running while trolling, you might be fouling your plugs.If you could pull a plug or better yet all of them before speeding up to run in you could see.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great advice from the two posters. I would also run marine stabil. I used that on my outboard and did not have carb or spark plug problems for 3 years. Previous to that, I had to clean the carbs every year.
You need to do a little more maintenance when you use your big motor to troll.

·
Captain of the Ship
709 Posts
Depending on the rpm's you are running while trolling, you might be fouling your plugs...........
Agree with this. What rpm's are you turning while trolling?.....assuming you have an accurate tach....

I think if your rpm's are in the very low range, you're gonna keep fouling plugs...even after any cleaning, adjusting, rebuild etc.... but running high speed will "clean" them.....sort of LOL

But on that big of a boat and with that small hp and pulling bags....I'm curious to hear what rpms you are turning?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tac h on my boat is reading about 800 rpm while trolling. Not sure if its accurate. I bought some sea foam to try.

Over the weekend I found a 4 stroke, 8 up kicker and jumped on it. So now I just got to get that sweet thing hooked up. Any recommendations on a mount/ bracket? I have a large flat back transom, like the starcraft islanders.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The tac h on my boat is reading about 800 rpm while trolling. Not sure if its accurate. I bought some sea foam to try.

Over the weekend I found a 4 stroke, 8 up kicker and jumped on it. So now I just got to get that sweet thing hooked up. Any recommendations on a mount/ bracket? I have a large flat back transom, like the starcraft islanders.

I have never hooked up a kicker...but, you'll need a bracket and steering linkage to connect it to your i/o. But if you have power steering on your i/o be prepared. I've heard steering is difficult with out the power steering with the main shut down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
after you get the mount I recommend the ez steer motor connector for steering. you can get them at cabelas for 259.00. you can get them for mercruiser to outboard or outboard to outboard. they are made so you can leave them hooked up all the time but it just didn't work that good for me. so I always took mine off when not in use and put it back on when trolling.
sherman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts