close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling speed indicator

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishingguy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

My gps works sporadically at best at speeds under two. I can purchase a speed sensor for my Lowrance. Are these worth it, do they give accurate readings at low speeds?

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Your gps should read and read well at speeds under 1.0 even. I have two Lowrance units on my rig and I can troll as slow as I want and have no issues even under 1.0 I troll spinners at .6-.8 and it reads grea.

maybe you have something set up wrong or something??? might want to look into your owners manual. What kind of GPS is it?

To answer your question about the speed wheel. they are very innacurate IMO, to many things to consider, the shape of your transom, side current, waves, etc, I had one on my old boat it wasn't worth a darn.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

My GPS and Lowrance paddle wheel differ anywhere from .3 to 1 mph. The paddle wheels are pretty useless at slow speeds for a variety of reasons, lake currents being one of them.

I agree with K Gone, you most likely have your GPS set up wrong. Open the menu, go into speed, and see what setting you have it on.

4. fishingguy

ok the wheel is out. Went in the set up menus and changed a couple of things. Might help, can't hurt. Might just be I need a new unit. Magellan, 10 years old. Gonna start lookin for another one. Thanks

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I would go with a fixed mount GPS, my handheld doesn't do so hot when going slow but it did the job okay, it just didn't update fast enough, probably due to a small processor. Lowrance has my vote as to what you should look at but there are many other good units on the market as well. You can probably find a nice monochrome lowrance or eagle on ebay for darn cheap, even cabelas has awesome deals on brand new last years models.

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I think your problem is the fact your unit is 10 years old. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think units back then were capable of picking up more than a few satellites. That would effect the accuracy of your position as well as speed. A newer unit that picks up 12 satellites will improve your accuracy all around.

I have a portable Lowrance at the moment. Works fine for position and speed. Someday I'll have a chart plotter. I also have a Teleflex electronic analog speedometer. Has a switch for trolling. The unit is close to the GPS speed when on plane, but is off on trolling speed by as much as 1mph.

7. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

I have a Humminbird Matrix 20, and it is also tempermental at speeds below 2mph. Most of the time it will read down to 1.8, occasionally 1.6, never below 1.4. I too agree it is probably the age and manufacture of the units. Mine has been this way right out of the box. I'm looking to upgrade this year also. I'm eyeing the LMS-527C. Whatever I get I want it to show the contour maps of the lakes this time.

8. I didn't have a problem with my Eagle 480 (2007) at low speeds but my OLD GARMIN GPS12 (10+ yrs) handheld would not recpord below 2mph. As others have said, the wheels are useless at low speeds.
    A friend of mine can show low speeds on his Garmin E-Trex which is quite new. Give a shout to CW261 as he has a Lowrance handheld that does a great job.

9. Shortdrift - Is your Eagle 480 the Intellimap 480 and does it have an internal antenna??? If it does it seems to be the best bargain out there for a low cost full size GPS.
    To fishingguy - My Etrex Legend works great at any speed. I bought it last year. Problem is the screen is too small for me. I am going bigger.

11. I have a cheapo garmin etrex 3yrs old and it works fantastic at slow speeds. matches a eagle intellimap 480 ext antenna exactly no matter how slow. A very reliable and handy unit for under a hundred bucks;)

12. fishingguy

I did some searching and found that Magellan offers a free upgrade or patch to fix the speed issue and a few more that I never new of. Now I need a data power cable from unit to computer. Still looking, there are some nice deals if you can except 3 or 4 years less technology.

13. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

Thanks Shortdrift, I just bought the 480 on your say so. :D Found one new in box on ebay for $270. It will be nice to troll those slower speeds without guessing.

Now I need to get the chip.