close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling rods?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ocdfishguy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I am looking for some advice on what type of trolling rod to buy. I will be using Daiwa line counter reels and braid line. I plan on using the rods for, pulling small boards and spinner rigs with bouncers. What is a good rod size 7.6 or 8 foot, and sence I am using braid what is the best action. Thanks in advance.

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Im using cabelas 8'6" (2 piece) depthmaster down rigger rods. I have pulled, offshore boards, jet divers, and cranks with them and they seem to work fine. there stout enough for the boards, yet limber enough to watch the tip vibrate when :T cranks.

also using 30/8 power pro braid.

sowbelly

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I use a couple different rods, depending on what I'm pulling. If I'm pulling big Dypsies, I usually run JBI Erie Series rods, or Diawa Firewolf rods. If I'm flatlining cranks, or pulling Jets, I go with the Ugly Stick BWD rods.

The Ugly Sticks might be a bit limber for pulling boards. If I were in your shoes, I'd check out Dicks for the Firewolf rods. I believe they come in 8'6" or 10'.

If you're going with Diawa 27s, go for the 8'6".

4. ocdfishguy,

There are lots of trolling rods out there that are both affordable and servicable. I always say don't spend a bunch of $$ in a rod that will sit in the rodholder 95% of the time. Several I use/have used are:

Diawa Heartland 8'0" 2-pc composite medium action $30
    Okuma Contender 8'0" 2-pc composite med action $30
    Bass Pro P&K Trolling rods 8'0" or 8'6" IM6 graphite med action telescopic $60
    St Croix 8'0" telescopic composite med action about $110

The Diawas and the Okumas are pretty good for the price and probably have a better action for braid-a little more parabolic. The P&K rods are a good all-around rod...definitely more sensitive (faster, thinner tip) than the Diawas or the Okumas, but probably not as durable because of their graphite construction. I like them for mono trolling but will work well for both. The telescopic feature is worth it's weight in gold to me. The St Croix rods I have look great but don't do anything, including catch fish, better that the others! Decide on one that fits your needs and you can add (or replace broken ones-it happens) relatively easily. Good luck.

Tim

5. Thanks guys. Trolled with my boat for the first time this year and had a good time. I think it would have been more productive with the right equipment. 4 new rod's and reels, new rod holders and 4 small boards. I have a couple of extra jobs coming up to pay for it. That should have me set up for next spring. Thanks again.