Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have somewhere around 12 line counter combos and I think four lead cores that are mixed matched and I'm considering getting 10 or 12 matching daiwa wilderness rods 8.6 ,2 piece just wondering what everyone else is running for pulling boards and dipsy's? If I do go this route I will have several okuma's and Cabela's downrigger rods and a couple g2 ugly sticks for sale , just thinking it's time to get all matching rods.....

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are u catching fish? If you are why change!
Fast limits , but hate the mix n match , just considering all matching rods , seems like a good idea , if I set all the rods that I have now I have a sequence that I run them in but the guys that I had on my boat my friends this weekend they had them all over the place and it drove my OCD into overdrive lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I here... All ya need is 10 matching 20 oz Mountain Dew bottles and some shoestring and your good to go. If green is the color:D

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are going to be hassled more and more by undersized walleyes. Reading rods will be more important and the easiest way to make that easier is to run identical rods. That's why.
Exactly!!!!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will add after running several days with offshore boards and several days with church boards I am now converted and believe the offshores with a tattle flags are much more accurate with the smaller fish and I am switching those also

·
Registered
186 Posts
I currently have somewhere around 12 line counter combos and I think four lead cores that are mixed matched and I'm considering getting 10 or 12 matching daiwa wilderness rods 8.6 ,2 piece just wondering what everyone else is running for pulling boards and dipsy's? If I do go this route I will have several okuma's and Cabela's downrigger rods and a couple g2 ugly sticks for sale , just thinking it's time to get all matching rods.....
I switched over all my mix and match rods last year to the daiwa wilderness 8 ft medium rods.They work well for both my dipseys and off shore boards.Its much easier for everyone to read the rods now.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run all tdr’s love them I have always been one to have all my rods match. Go see Craig at Erie outfitters
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have TDRs on my leadcores on Penn 209's

·
Registered
841 Posts
I will add after running several days with offshore boards and several days with church boards I am now converted and believe the offshores with a tattle flags are much more accurate with the smaller fish and I am switching those also
Another reason to switch is the church boards will inexplicably dive on you. Once it happens, the only way to get them to surface is to give it some slack and risk losing the fish. If anyone knows of a way to prevent that, I’d really like to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another reason to switch is the church boards will inexplicably dive on you. Once it happens, the only way to get them to surface is to give it some slack and risk losing the fish. If anyone knows of a way to prevent that, I’d really like to hear about it.

Slide weight back some and point rod tip at board, keep line tight , or do what I'm doing , switching to offshore after 15 years of church diving

·
Registered
841 Posts
Slide weight back some and point rod tip at board, keep line tight , or do what I'm doing , switching to offshore after 15 years of church diving
Will probably do that. My reason for switching to church is laughable. Church offers these kits that allow you to remove the tow arm so you can stack the boards and store them easier. I prefer big boards, but will start out with dipsies and a couple little boards at first. If I can get by with that, that’s how I’ll fish that day. If it’s leaning towards a board bite, I drag out the big boards and fish that way. Anyway, the ability to neatly stow the little boards and get them out of the way is what swayed me. For some reason, if I’m able to maintain a clean organized deck, I do way better with the fishing and the ability to efficiently store the little boards drove my buying decision. The laughable part is I could have just used that removable tow arm system on any brand of board. I had seen plenty of warnings about these boards diving before I purchased them, but thought somehow it wouldn’t happen to me.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts

Throw em in the garbage and buy offshores.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
I run church boards and cannot figure out how you guys pop your other boards free without losing the board. I ran my church's on opposite side of boat from the other brand. The guy on other side kept losing the board and asking to go get it. During a tourny!

We learned how to not let them dive, I just don't know what that is exactly. They have just worked for us so no reason to change. Fishcrazy charters was the first one who showed us how about 10 years ago.

Rickerd

·
Catcher of big fish
632 Posts
If you don’t mind junk reel seats go with the Wilderness rods, if you want a better reel seat go with TDR’s or better. I tried a Wilderness and couldn’t stand the way the reel moves around when reeling in fish of any decent size.
Tdr uses a Fuji DPSM seat, Wilderness uses some cheap Chinese copy. I cut mine apart to examine. Garbage IMO!
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Floor Laminate flooring
The

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you don’t mind junk reel seats go with the Wilderness rods, if you want a better reel seat go with TDR’s or better. I tried a Wilderness and couldn’t stand the way the reel moves around when reeling in fish of any decent size.
Tdr uses a Fuji DPSM seat, Wilderness uses some cheap Chinese copy. I cut mine apart to examine. Garbage IMO!
View attachment 361595 The
I definitely don't want no wobbly reels I just know a lot of people run the wilderness but I don't think I have ever have

1 - 20 of 36 Posts