Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trolling up around 2 to 3 mph and reeling in a hooked fish at 1+ mph, means the fish is traveling rather fast thru the water. And I have been losing some lately because of it.

Been thinking about turning or reducing speed, but other lines become a problem.

Any comments ?

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
To make clearing other lines easier turn slightly away from the fish (+/- 20 degrees), if it's a really big sheephead or walleye, you may need to take a little speed off. It kinda depends on what you're running. If you've got Dipsys down deep, and you slow too much you'll load them up with zebra mussle shells.

Turning into the fish is only an option when it an inside line.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Its great to have a response from the #1 expert. Do I have this correct ?
If I hook a fish on the starboard side, outside pole, turn 20 deg +/- to port to clear ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Jim is dead on about the turn! If you can help it do NOT slow down. It causes nothing but problems. We never slow down except for Tournament fish or an absolute slob. Try loosening the drag and taking the extra 2 minutes to fight the fish slowly instead. Big fish usually take the fight directly behind the boat anyway which takes the guess work out of clearing and such.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Reel..

after a few years of quite a few mistakes and lost fish....

we also have learned to do the same.... depending on how many lines are out ..

but 9 out of ten times we dont slow down .. i just turn the boat slightly.. in the direction needed to get that fish behind the boat... we fish with our drags loose any way for this exact reason...

now during a tourney and if we have a hawg on... we do slow down a bit.. only becuse than we are usually only running 4 rods...

there has been a few times that when we did slow down and after nettting the fish and we kicked up the speed and another fish hit out of reaction.. this happed to use again last week... ..

but only slow down a bit... so not to cause any headaches or other not-so-fun trouble..

Frank

·
Registered
367 Posts
Reel,

The other thing that you might do is check your hooks. If you are using little stingers, for example, you might want to go to a better hook (slightly bigger, better quality. Yamagatsu, Daichi etc.. i know some guys who prefer single hooks or even two single hooks). I hate that hook on those little stingers.

Also, if you are going 2- 3 mph, you could still slow a little before you are going to change the running depth of the dipseys a whole lot. If i get a big fish, i don't hesitate to slow if i need to. Sometimes you might only need to slow briefly. Sometimes i'll even go to neutral if the fish is really running and it might only take a couple seconds to get an upper hand on the fish and then i pop it right back in.

Depends on the kind of programs you are running. Jets are less speed dependent, but even dipseys (especially if you aren't running them too deep) can slow a little without much problem.

Good luck- pik-n-fin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts