Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and it looks like a lot of folks who know a great deal about fishing are here. Been fishing for years and finally got a nice boat!
I fish Berlin and Milton but not doing so well. My question is how fast should I be trolling for walleye? My boat will do 2.0 to 2.5 mph per my Lowrance. Is this too fast? Without adding a smaller motor what can I do to slow down if needed?
Is drift fishing an option?
Any advice regarding lures,baits, speeds, locations, etc would be more than welcome!
Thanks in advance and I promise I will report my outing specifics..good or bad!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been drifting & kicking around with the electric @ Milton a couple times last week.
Caught a few keepers & a lot of shorts.
I don't troll much but I use my electric at around 1.7 - 2

·
The Eagle Has Landed
144 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom, I troll 99% of the time. I use to do a lot of wind drifting and shore casting. Today, I say take the lures to the fish. The slowest I can go in my 17' aluminum is around 1.7 mph. Sometimes I bump the motor into neutral and slow down to around 1.0 mph. A nice SW wind and troll in around 10' of water near drop offs or humps usually produces fish. I fish Berlin and Milton pretty much exclusively. There are some better spots than others in those lakes, but if they ain't biting, they ain't biting. I fish the southern ends in both lakes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Like EZ said. Before you spend more money, go trolling. I can’t get slower than 2.2 at best but Im usually at 2.7. I’ve been catching just fine since early May. In fact I shut down my engine and used trolling motor at 1.8 for a few hours without a bite. Drop your trolling motor sideways and trim your motor up a little. You’ll catch fish.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,322 Posts
get a drift sock

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Amish Outfitters Beefy Bag is what you want. call them and tell your boat and they will make recommendation and if as before, they guarantee it is right size or will exchange until you are happy. It is attached to the side of boat- one line to bow and other to stern. this way the bag is to your side (parallel to boat travel) and out of way of retrieving a hooked fish on line AND there is no way it can get into your prop from that location. hanging from a single line is very risky for bag or bucket...

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,475 Posts
Theres a custom canvas amish shop on Rt 322, between Pymatuning & Orwell, (its 1-2miles South off 322 on a side road- can't recall the road name) Their sign is on 322.
I bought a drift sock from them and its heavy duty and does well.

I agree with others, 2- 2.3 is not too fast this time of year unless your pullin worm harnesses... I don't like to troll unless I'm on the big pond, find a weed bed and throw some swim baits, especially right before dark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am new here and it looks like a lot of folks who know a great deal about fishing are here. Been fishing for years and finally got a nice boat!
I fish Berlin and Milton but not doing so well. My question is how fast should I be trolling for walleye? My boat will do 2.0 to 2.5 mph per my Lowrance. Is this too fast? Without adding a smaller motor what can I do to slow down if needed?
Is drift fishing an option?
Any advice regarding lures,baits, speeds, locations, etc would be more than welcome!
Thanks in advance and I promise I will report my outing specifics..good or bad!
Attach a Trolling plate to your motor and you can probably slow the boat down to .75mph. I have one on my 90 horse honda 4 stroke and it can slow down to .6mph. Just remember to lift the plate when getting ready to move. Additionally it will help the boat get on plane faster.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,539 Posts
Yeah it took us a while before we started to modify then my buddy traded the shute he had for like a 60' boat for a small one and bought another small for balance. Id think a small bucket would work good to if your trying to just shave a little speed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts