Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have advice on how to keep hookups better when trolling??? I only troll occasionally, and when I do it's typically cranks and spoons on dipseys or jets with snubbers. I have been noticing that about 1/3 of the time we will get a good pull back and appear to have a good hook up just to reel it in and have the fish get off. I typically troll 4 rods so have to keep the boat moving to avoid any tangles. I try to bump it out of gear for the heavier fish to help. I troll at about 2mph and I always keep my hooks sharp. Is this just a fact of trolling or is there some other trick/technique to help you land more of the fish??:confused:

·
Elk Hunter
99 Posts
Try replacing all of your hooks w\triple grip hooks & slow down for each fish.You are still gonna lose some,that,s why it,s called fishing not catching.Hope this helps.

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
sharpen your hooks and set your drag light

the fish won't rip holes in his jaws when he attacks

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Braided lines + long leads = lost fish. I don't care for the trebel hooks. I like a longer single hook, just my preference. Too stiff a rod thru the tip can also hinder a hook-up. I have a couple of 10'ers with a heavy butt and fast limber tips, I seem to do better with those, althouth rods are a personal preference thing. Reel the fish in sloooowwww, don't lock down your drag, let it work for you, keep steady pressure, do not pump the rod. Try to keep the fish under the water. Cross your fingers.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use 30 lb power pro with a 10 ft flourocarbon lead and besides reeling slow, and having a rod with a very soft tip you must keep your rod tip up so that no slack gets in your line. For this reason I would never cut the engine when trolling either.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think no slack is the most important. Slack can occur from pumping a rod, wave action, and fish head shake to name some. Slack can be minimized by keeping the rod tip up. Need to keep them in the water as they near the boat so a little less rod tip up at that time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good suggestions. Forgot to mention that I use all mono line when trolling so I should have plenty of stretch. I have 8'6" rods for my long lines and 7'6" for jets/dipseys. All have a moderate action (bend towards the middle) which should be fairly soft during hook up. I really like the idea of setting the drag light for the initial hookup to not rip it out of thier mouths. I will have to try that. I would imagine that you tighten back down a little to get into the boat?? On the topic of changing treble hooks, do you think a little larger is better?? I have the original hooks on my lures and just work to keep them sharp. Some technology there might help. I love the gamakatsu's octopus hooks for my mayfly rigs and would expect that they make good trebles as well. What are your thoughts on treble size and manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'd have to start with your drag setting - you shouldn't be losing 1 out of 3 for any reason. I run braided line with flouro leads and I don't often have fish come unbuttoned (sure it happens to me - it happens to us all). I run all 6 identical rods/reels which makes adjustments a little easier, but check your drag and back it off a little.

If an experienced troller is having eyes get off with regularity, 90% of the time the drag is the culprit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use Gamakatsu #6 EWG (extra wide gap) for my worm harnesses, I'm not sure if these would be good for your spoons and cranks or not. It is a strong, sharp and effective hook. I fished with Get fish last month and we had a couple of novice trollers on the boat and brought in 24 of the 25 walleye we hooked up on and he uses the same hooks as I do.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Lots of correct advice regarding drag setting and rod action. The last thing you should do is take the boat out of gear as this is can result in INSTANT SLACK. Unlike small fish that can be horsed into the net, large fish cannot. Large fish can be slowly led into the net when tired out.
Regarding hook size, I use single sive 1/0 on my spoons and size 6 or 4 treble on my cranks and harness.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Mono + snubber???

Things I have read suggests snubber with braid to add a little stretch. Do other people who run mono also run snubbers?

Not sure how this could influence your outcome (I run braid). Maybe others who run mono will chime in. Might consider leaving the snubbers off for a trip or two and see what happens.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Only guessing the 25th was a walleye, it came off way back and could have been a farm animal? Needless to say those hooks work good and that was with braided line never slowing the boat down. Several in the 4-6 lb range with a few in the 7-8 lb range!

·
Registered
425 Posts
We had a similar problem last year. One night last year we had 4 fish come off before we figured out what was causing this. It only occurred on the rods that we had mono on and were running snubbers off those dipseys. When using mono, I think a snubber would allow enough slack in the line for the fish to come off. We took the snubbers off those lines and did not lose a fish the rest of the night.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I'm far from the expert a lot of the previous posters are but in my opinion, "occasional trollers" are "novices", and therein lies the problem.
(This is NOT meant to be a slam to you or your crew, just an observation.)
As you get more proficient, your lost numbers will drop off to the occasional fish. Whenever I take someone new(to trolling) out, regardless of prompting, they loose the "one in three" that you refer to. Most people aren't conscious of "pumping the rod" or letting the rod go down below the 10 o'clock position, 2 of the worst things you can do with a trolled-up fish! As mentioned before, those things will tear the mouth enough, and give just enough slack to a strong and acrobatic fish, that the hook will come out easily-sometimes near the boat, sometimes in the net(if you're lucky!) Keep steady tension on the fish with the rod tip UP all the way to the net, reel slowly/but steadily(remember you're already going 2 MPH), and I'm sure you will notice fewer lost fish. JMHO!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No offense taken CJ. I would consider myself a novice to trolling 4+ rods. Trolled for 90% of our time on the water from the early 80's to mid 90's, but back then it was just two long lines with cranks. When we got a pull back we put the boat in neutral, one guy grabbed the rod with the fish and the other guy worked the other rod in. It was rare to drop a fish. Now that I troll more than two rods and can't stop it just seems like I am dropping too many, or getting pull backs that don't hang. Most of the fish are getting off more than halfway back on the long lines (cranks) or just aren't hanging to begin with. The spoons behind jets or dipsy's have been much better, but I will definitely try them without the snubbers since I have all mono on them. Getting plenty of good suggestions that I am going to put to work so keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
They are a 6-12 rubber shock absorber. Snubbers are used primarily on lines where there isn't much stretch to soften the blow of a powerful fish striker...like a steelhead hitting 30lb braid. I haven't used them in 3 years. If and when I go out deep where steelie hookups are likely I'll probably run a few rods with snubbers.

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
I really like the idea of setting the drag light for the initial hookup to not rip it out of thier mouths. I will have to try that. I would imagine that you tighten back down a little to get into the boat??
you'll notice your fish-to-boat ratio go up -- and yes you will get the hang of reeling these guys in and tightening the drag as you are going.... even pressure, tip up and no pumping = more in your net.

Great thread... good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for your input. Hopefully will get out this weekend an puts these suggestions to work. Will update on the results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts