Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We go out of Marblehead, but as I get more familiar with the lake, I am planning on following the fish when they head East this year. I have never fished around Vermillion but I believe it can be quite a bit deeper than around the Islands. My question is do you guys pretty much strictly troll in deeper waters or is drift fishing still viable? Also I am not really interested in running boards at this point. How many lines can you troll without using boards? Am I right in thinking I can have more lines by using Dipsys? I would rather just troll a few lines using only inline weights but I'm afraid a "few" might mean only 2 if I don't use boards or dipsys. I've had three trolling rods and reels for several years I have never even used. Two are set up with lead core (like I know what I'm doing with THAT), and one with mono.
I am hopefully heading up on Sunday with just my 12 year old after his baseball game. We'll probably stick around the Islands area and drift. I'll give a report on Tuesday when we get back. He needs a break from travel baseball to relax a bit before the state tourney next weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Prokatt22,

I fish the Vermilion area 90% of the time and usually you can find eyes fairly close within a 15 min boat ride. As for trolling setups go. Keep it simple if you're just starting out learning to troll. I would start learning with inline weights, dipsys and/or jet divers first. You could easily run four rods with 2 dipsys and 2 with inline weights. Then you can learn planer boards once you get the dipsy's mastered. The boards will help you get your baits away from the boat on those days when the fish run from the boats.
There is alot of great fishermen on here willing to help you with any questions. If your ever in the Vermilion area there is usually someone fishing the area from the OGF site, just give a shout on Ch. 68.
Good luck at the state ball tournament. I'll be there too with my son. He plays on the Wayne County Warriors travel team 13 and under.

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
We've caught many walleye out of the Verm. R area drifting the past several years so it can be done under the right conditions. Trolling is generally more productive and allows you to cover more water with a multitude of different lures though. I've trolled as many as six lines w/o using boards - two dipsies per side (different settings obviously) and flat lines out the back. It can get interesting though... turns are pretty much a no-no unless it's really gradual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lundfish-r-men,
Good luck at the tournament yourself. My boy plays on the Columbus Big Katz 12 and under. Unfortunately, I have to work the first 3 days of the tournament so I'm hoping he makes it to Sunday. They've got a pretty good team this year so there's a chance. They took 2nd last year.
Thanks for the info on trolling. It's nice to have that option in your bag of tricks. Also a lot of times I just fish with 1 or 2 other buddies so it sounds like we could have up to 2 poles in the water each. It's just me, but I think most times I'd still like the feeling of drift and cast with a nice 6 ft medium power/fast action pole setup. However, it sure gets frustrating when the winds die and the lake goes dead flat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question: I'm pretty sure you need actual heavier trolling rods for trolling dipsys and jets but how about inline weights. I have a few trolling rods but would like to stick with my 6' medium actions as much as possible, without breaking them. How heavy of an inline weight can I safely use with these?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Another question: I'm pretty sure you need actual heavier trolling rods for trolling dipsys and jets but how about inline weights. I have a few trolling rods but would like to stick with my 6' medium actions as much as possible, without breaking them. How heavy of an inline weight can I safely use with these?
Any trollling stick can handle up to a 3 or 4 oz weight, remember it's just lead and has no pulling effect like a dipsey, a dispey is pretty much the only trolling device that needs a special rod, jets, bouncers, inline weights, cranks, inline boards all pretty much can be ran off of any trolling rod.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kgonefishin, Thanks for the info. I am actually more worried about my regular spinning rods with trolling the inline weights. I have two six footers, 1 G.Loomis and the other a St. Croix. Both just medium power/fast action and I don't want to damage them. Were you saying these rods could handle up to 3-4 oz weight? Also are you saying dipsys require a SPECIAL trolling rod? How do I know if the 3 trolling rods I do have can handle dipsys, or should I just stick with jets? Did not really want to get into boards right now so I was thinking dipsys to get a spread. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Prokat, the best advice I can give you is to hook up with somebody who trolls, and learn from somebody who has the knowledge. It will save you countless dollars, and headaches learning from somebody who trolls. Remember this though "he who knows the way of the worm possesses the power of the fillet knife"......or something like that.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Kgonefishin, Thanks for the info. I am actually more worried about my regular spinning rods with trolling the inline weights. I have two six footers, 1 G.Loomis and the other a St. Croix. Both just medium power/fast action and I don't want to damage them. Were you saying these rods could handle up to 3-4 oz weight? Also are you saying dipsys require a SPECIAL trolling rod? How do I know if the 3 trolling rods I do have can handle dipsys, or should I just stick with jets? Did not really want to get into boards right now so I was thinking dipsys to get a spread. Again, thanks.

Ohh Geez I didn't know you had spinning rods, thought you meant trolling rods yeah leave those at home or for perch jerkin or flippin jig n pigs into cover or something.

What kind of trolling rods do you have? let's start there, I'm familiar with just about all of them, let me know what they are and I'll tell you what they can handle and what applications they fit. and yes a large dispey's does require a special rod do to the stress they apply when trolling, also linecounters are needed as well. Do you have these.

·
Administrator
9,500 Posts
Remember this though "he who knows the way of the worm possesses the power of the fillet knife"......or something like that.
I'm writing that down... Good one! :D

G

·
ProKat,
I have done a fair amount of fishing out of Vermilion the last couple years and all we do is drift. we have had some monster days that we really caught them good. I fish worm rigs with 3/4 or larger gold egg sinker on top and just count them down.

I love to drift fish for eyes and you can absolutely catch them out off Vermilion, even in 40 to 50 feet of water!

Go get em!

Good luck,

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
prokat22 we fish alot out of vermillion we found on most days that trolling works best we use 81\2 foot ugly sticks with daiwa line counter baitcasting reels with 10# mono trolling 41\2 inch cranks. we watch our fish finder to decide what depth to run the cranks. we usually start out trolling worm harness but that usually results in to many sheeps head hope this helps you;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. K Gonefishing, I'll have to look when I go up today what kind of trolling rods they are. They were my father in law's before he passed away a few years ago. I put Cabelas depthmaster gold reels with linecounters on them a while back but have never used them. I think most times I prefer casting with the spinning setups because I like the feel of hooking and fighting the fish with them. Still, I am seriously looking at trolling for still days and because it does get old fighting mostly non target fish even with the nice spinning rigs. I really appreciate all the help. I am going up today with the family. My wife will absolutely only drift and cast so I will be trying a splash or very low count and see how I do. Will report when I get back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts