Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read reports of people catching “quick” limits of walleye. I’ve also been fortunate/blessed to catch 2-3 limits when I go out, but having to troll longer to get them. My finder marks fish so as long as it does I keep trolling in the same direction. Should I loop around an area / stay in an area where I caught fish? Are walleye more actively biting In one area where one or two are caught than other areas that are marking fish? In other words are there more active feeding zones than others even if all are marking fish? What do you do?

·
Registered
732 Posts
If your catching fish even if uts not "quick" I sure wouldnt go looking for fish. I would definitely circle back through them or pull gear and run back and go through them again. Then start maybe changing a rod or 2 to see if they like something better then what your running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had the same thing last Saturday. We didn’t get out till 12. My screen was loaded with fish but the bite was slow. I kept turning and going back thru them changing baits, depth and speed. Finally around 6 pm they turned on and we finished a 4 man ticket. They say don’t leave fish to look for fish.

·
fishin is fun
637 Posts
Cicle back if you can
On the turn the outside speeds up and inside slows down.
It will help you figure out what they want even better.
Goodluck

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would compare fish to people somewhere there are people or fish eating. The trick in the case of fish is to find those actively feeding fish what lure type, what color, what speed & direction & what depth all play a part on how long it takes to limit. Every time outfishing is a learning experience.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Generally speaking in my view find a way to get out about 2 riggers, 4 divers, and 8-10 or so board lines. Quick trolling limits on the big boats are often a product of economies of scale with a lot of importance also on nailing down larger schools of active fish.

Smaller boats running 6 or 8 lines it's just naturally slower to dial in and you get 1 or 2 fish when you come though a pod vs 3 or 4 or 5 just based on the amount of lines in the water.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
last week we pulled a 5person limit in 3-hr dock-to-dock and then later in the week we fished for 8-hr to do the same. it varies from day to day. of course that 8-hr day included 5 steelhead and 2 salmon boated and a number of others dropped that distracted us for a couple of hours extra. was well worth it...

we tend to not loop around as we are pulling big boards and wire this time of year. we tend to find a depth that is working and run that until it dries up for 30-60min and then will turn around or seek other waters to keep finding fish. we have been lucky past month to troll away from marina and then spin and troll back to finish our limits. saves fuel on a big boat too.

some days i would be happy to fish more casually than the walleye want to get caught!

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
Find a way to get out about 2 riggers, 4 divers, and 8-10 or so board lines. Quick trolling limits on the big boats are often a product of economies of scale. Smaller boats running 6 or 8 lines it's tougher to dial in and you get 1 or 2 fish when you come though a pod vs 4 or 5.
you are right. it is a game of statistics... more gear in the water and the higher your catch rate will be. we will let fish hang on the boards to get our target number of lines in the water and fishing. this frustrates clients that don't understand that...

·
Registered
778 Posts
The short answer is,it depends.There are times a quick limit can be had and others times you are gonna have to work for your fish.But we have all read ,and caught, about working an active pod of fish.Yes,that means circling back and through an area you had caught several fish.Other times you can catch them all on one long straight run.Where we fish,around the islands, you will have to work to catch a limit now when the water temps are so high.Out east you may still catch them faster.It also depends on how big the fish are too.The smaller the fish,the faster you can catch them.The bigger fish seam to always take longer to catch.Sometimes you can even make decisions based on what the other boats around you are doing.At times I've seen what looks like everyone going one direction and not turning much.Others,seams like others are working active pods.Sometimes we don't want to be done fast.Then we will start sorting by size to fish longer and keep better fish.So yeah,it depends.

·
Registered
307 Posts
you are right. it is a game of statistics... more gear in the water and the higher your catch rate will be. we will let fish hang on the boards to get our target number of lines in the water and fishing. this frustrates clients that don't understand that...
Agree with this a lot. Walleye have a habit of collectively feeding in spurts. I mostly fish with my old man and he drives me nuts with that, we'll come through active fish and have no rods in the water. He likes things calm and organized and doesn't multitask like I do. I always want to get a rod set before or as we bring a fish in. No rods in the water usually doesn't catch many fish.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I I go thru a area and pop multiple fish then go 15 minutes without a bit I pretty much always turn on them .
Maybe not the first pass thru . I'll give it a little longer without a bite before I turn . But you'll often find a pocket of fish biting that you can make multiple passes on . Either by turning or if it's rougher I'll pick up abd reset .
There's times you can get away with just trolling in one direction and doing well . But majority of the time you'll fare better turning on active fish .

I troll with little boards and/or dipseys out of a StarCraft fish master .

·
Registered
250 Posts
It depends how many rods I can run. The last couple trips it was my buddy and I so six rods was the max. Once the dipsys quit firing around 8/830 I ran all board lines. If something quits working don’t wait for it to start back up. Always Be Changing. I have a tendency to run inline boards over the big boards so turns are more friendly. If we hit a few fish in a small area we mark it and “figure 8” it until it’s dry. There’s fish everywhere but you need to stay on the active feeders. The fun for me is figuring out the program and adjusting as necessary.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
you guys can steer ? hahaah when ya get a fish in my crestliner it butt steers all over the map untill ya sit down and pick a course hahahahah we figure 8 alot , sometimes its direction of troll, i like to troll at whatever depth there at that day lol and i start off one deep one shallow spoons have been good. when your trollin your catchin.. straight line doesnt always work, hell most of sthe time im zig zagging around other boats.....alot of times when i pay out my stick bait and grab the line to clip on the board i give it a jerk to gain slack and ya get hit gotta love it........

·
Registered
581 Posts
when it's rough out and you have to pick up and run back i will go farther on a line before i turn around and go back...when you find active fish work the area...last tues i went north of west sister and there was lots of good marks but i couldn't get them to go so i went to another spot where i got them a couple days before and once i got in there i got done in 1 hour and 15 mins...making turns has been producing bites on the dipseys very well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
you guys can steer ? hahaah when ya get a fish in my crestliner it butt steers all over the map untill ya sit down and pick a course hahahahah we figure 8 alot , sometimes its direction of troll, i like to troll at whatever depth there at that day lol
you guys can steer ? hahaah when ya get a fish in my crestliner it butt steers all over the map untill ya sit down and pick a course hahahahah

My 18’6” Lund does the same. I use bowmount Trolling motor set on course to steer and trolling bag out each side with 9.9 pushing for speed. That greatly reduces boat doing a circle when we are busy landing a fish.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
the fish do not feed at the same time.
you have fish positive+neutral+negative= 100%.
the nomber positive,neutral,negative is changing every minute.higher positive nomber is beter bite.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great discussion! No complaints intended! I love being out on the water every minute! Was more curious about what the common practice was out there - especially when I’m marking fish - I figure keep going! (Also helps avoid tangles!). I am getting better at making the turns now that I’m taking them wider so that will help avoid tangled when putting me back on an active school! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts