Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if is the right place for this but as it involves Lake Erie Walleye fishing I will give it a try. My I/O motor on my boat will not go less than 2.5 MPH. A friend recently suggested that I install a trolling plate to allow for slower trolling speeds. I don't want to drag anything behind the boat as I am afraid I will damage the motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
I have a EZ-Troll trolling plate on my 120 Mercruiser because my kicker was down last year. It got me down in speed, but I still needed to put bags out the sides to help some times. The main issue I found was not getting the plate up before you took it up on plane. LOL. Luckily it is aluminum and I was able to put it back into shape to use another day, but make sure it is in the up position before you decide to take off. Otherwise, it did what it was meant to do, and cost less than the repairs (which I just had done), or another alternative to troll with a sterndrive. Just my .02.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Check out Louv-a-troll. There is a you-tube video of their product. I like it because you don't have to remember to raise it up before taking off and you are able to back up with it down. I had it on a 130 Honda outboard. Call if you have any questions. Don't want to bore you if you have chosen a different route. 419-305-9938

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have the cabelas troll n go trolling plate and I love it. Gets me down around .7 on my I/o and you never have to worry about putting it up. Just give it throttle and it goes up on its own. Very sturdy stainless steel construction as well.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
the easy troller trolling plate is the way to go if your going to use a plate for trolling. just make sure to get the standard size and not the short one. but bags are better. I've used several types of plates over the yrs and like the easy troller the best. then a few yrs ago we found a pair of bags in the middle of the road. we tried to find the owner with no success. then my son talked me into trying the trolling bags. I still have the plate on my outdrive but use the bags.
sherman

·
Tom B.
3,852 Posts
Another vote for bags. Too many negatives to the plate.

Plus the bags are good for drifting and a safety device if you lose the motor in deep water and large waves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Over time Trolling plate will eventually take its toll on your prop. Props were not designed to have that kind of resistance and eventually it will fail.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
I used trolling plates for over 30 yrs and never had a prop fail. a trolling plate will slow you down but bags will give you better boat control in rough water. I used the easy troller plate for something like the last 10 yrs I used a plate and even forgot to raise the plate once and it worked like it should. the lower half swung up and the plate didn't bend like on the old happy troller. but after using bags I will always use bags for trolling on erie.

I have a 17' tri hull open bow I use for trolling our local lake and I still use a plate on it. but you don't have very rough water to contend with on the small lake so its just easier to use the plate instead of fooling with putting out bags. but for erie the bags just works so much better than a plate.
sherman

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Talk to the people at amish outfitters and get the bags. Everything else is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
another option is to use a smaller pitched prop. Talk to an experienced mechanic first because when running a smaller prop you will be running at a higher RPM

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
Jim Stedke gave you the best advice.
after using plates for some 30 odd yrs and then switching to bags I would agree. but if you do decide to go with a plate check out the easy troller before deciding on a plate. you can get the standard plate off ebay for around 125.00. don't get the short one.
sherman

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
Not sure if is the right place for this but as it involves Lake Erie Walleye fishing I will give it a try. My I/O motor on my boat will not go less than 2.5 MPH. A friend recently suggested that I install a trolling plate to allow for slower trolling speeds. I don't want to drag anything behind the boat as I am afraid I will damage the motor. Any advice would be appreciated.
you don't drag trolling bags behind your boat. you tie them off to the front cleats or front bow rail and let them out to where the back of the bags run along the side of the boat where you can tie the back of the bags off on the back side of the boat. if you don't tie the back of the bags off they will swing in and out making it hard to control the steering.

just do a search on line for trolling bag videos. and you'll be able to see just how to use trolling bags. its really simple to use them.
sherman

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I use to run a trolling plate I would put a clothespin on the spoke of my steering wheel so I would remember to lift it before I motored away. Cheep insurance. JC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts