trolling motor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by m_miller, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I have a 14' john boat with built in decks, livewell, and 6 hp outboard. I am going to Bass pro shops next weekend and they have this motor on sale for $119. Would this be a good motor or would i be better off spending more money on a better one? Im trying to save as much as possible and get the boat set up then maybe up grade it a little over the next couple years.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_98207_200002001_200000000_200002000_200-2-1

2. I had about the same kind of boat you are talking about and had a 40lb.thrust motor on it and it did a good job for me. The one you are looking at should be more than enough.

3. Yeah i am planning on bow mounting it. what is involved in rotating the head? I have never had a boat before other than canoes so this is kind of new to me.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

That one for that size of a boat will work great. 45 lbs. of thurst will move you real well. For $119.00 you made a good choice.

5. Before I got a foot-controled motor I used a hand control one. You take the bolt out that holds the head on the shaft and just spin it around and put the bolt back in. I also used a bigfoot switch so I didnt have to bend over and turn the motor on and off with my hands all the time.

6. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

The price is hard to beat. It should work fine as the bow mount, but you might want a little more thrust if you plan on using on the transom at some point.