close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by stumpsitter, May 25, 2005.

1. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

I have an electric MotorGuide motor that I've had for about 10 years. It has never been used and has been sitting in the garage out of the weather the whole time. Today I finally got my boat back in the water and took the motor out for the first time. It wouldn't do a thing. The battery is fine. I know that I should have tried it out when I first got it, but just never got around to it. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be wrong? It is a small 20lb thrust motor.

2. step one , with a multi meter measure voltage to the dismantle head and after . then clean all contacts . next step BE CAREFUL hot wire the leads going down the shaft , the moter should turn at full speed . if it does take the board to a stereo or electronic repair shop to have the board repaired. ifthe moter does not run (hot wired ) send to factory. if you do not want to take to repair shop . then clench fist and pound on the top half of the trolling moter . then take your ten year old trolling battery and see (un-assited) if it will start your car. :F

3. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

Thanks, I'll take it apart and see if there is anything obvious (to me) wrong with it. The battery is new.

The good news is that the boat doesn't leak. I don't even want to think about what I'll need to do to get my outboard started after it has been sitting for so long.

4. stumpsitter

stumpsitter Regular Guy

It don't look good....very simple design. There is no electrontic card. Just a three-way switch and a motor. I jumped the switch...nothing. Must be the motor.

Oh, well. At least I thought I had a motor for ten years.

5. If you have a multimeter-set it on OHMS. Connect the two lead together the meter should spike. Then test the resistance(OHMS) thru the motor by connecting one meter lead to one motor wire, and the other meter lead to the other motor wire.. It should have considerable resistance, if not there is a broken wire in the motor and needs to be rewired.