close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trolling motor

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by BUCKEYE, Apr 27, 2004.

1. i just picked up a 12ft aluminum boat,and i was wondering; what should i get? thanks in advance.

2. a 9.9 merc should do...lol
    40 or 50# would be more than enuf on the electric side of it, less would do if not in a strong wind and calm water
    you might want to post a wanted to buy post when you figure it out...alot of help on here for good deals

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

40 or 50 would let you pull a skier!

I had a 50 on my 17 foot glass fish n ski, and it pulled it like champ. I do agree with John though. Even though in most instances it would be overkill, go as big as you can afford. You don't "need" much on a smaller rig like that, but if you do get to much motor you can always run it slower!

4. I have a 50# Minnkota Powerdrive on my 16' aluminum deep V side console with 40 hp merc and 200#+. That's about 1200# total weight. The 50#er can knock you out of the boat if you turn it on full blast.

5. Hey I've been thinkin bout putting a trolling motor on my canoe and was wondering how big i should go..... It's only a 14' canoe. I was thinking 30#, but I don't want to start paddling cause the motor can't handle some wind.
    Also don't want to get into the 24v motors (don't want the canoe to sink with the addtl weight of two batteries.

Then again with a 50#, I could probably take my son tubing at Alum in my canoe LOL :p And is it possible to get a canoe on plane with a trolling motor?

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I think the biggest 12v you can get is a 50? That's the biggest I've seen in a 12.

7. Give a lot of thought regarding where you will be using the trolling motor and the type of fishing you will be doing.
    If you put too much trolling motor on it that only has step speed control, you won't be able to use it for continous operation when fishing cover and shoreline for bass and other target fish as it will move you too fast, even on the lowest setting. I would suggest getting a quality bow mount 30-36# foot controlled to start and then adding a low cost 43# transom mount for when you want to move long distances or faster. I had a 36 and 43 on my 15 foot side console Sylvan and the combo worked out great. If you don't want to have two motors then consider a high end transom mount, around 40-45# thrust but with a fully variable speed control so you can slow it way down. Minn Kota with the maximizer circuity is a great unit. I now have a maximizer 55# thrust on the bow of my 16.5 foot side console Lund and it allows be to creep around cover or structure very slowly but still has very adequate power when needed in windy conditions.

8. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Of course you can go fancier(more money)but you can get a Minn Kota 36 as near as your local WalMart. It will have plenty of thrust for a 12'boat or canoe and are dependable. Having had both,I wouldn't even think of buying the OTHER brand.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I bought a 36# thrust last year to use in Canada. We have a 16' steel boat that it pushes really well. Use it all day long without a problem. Get us around just fine. cost me $120.00 at meijer here in Columbus.