close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling motor troubles

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Was on Alum Sunday about noon when my trolling motor acted up. It still runs, it's just that the unit won't turn as I press or depress the pedal. It just sits there staring at me. Any ideas?

Eric

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sounds like you broke a cable. Contact Ty Clarkston of Boat things. He's in Westerville and listed in the Cols. Phone book. He's the repair rep. for both MinnKota and Motorguide. Tell him I said to contact him. If it can be fixed he;s the one to do it.

3. like dale says broken cable about an hour to do it your self

4. As I looked it over, it appeared that the direection of the unit was control more or less by a cable. I'll try and give Ty a call today and see what he thinks. I'm hoping I can fix it before Weds. Thurs. JBJ and I are supposed to fish Weds. My borther and I are going fishing for my bachelor party on Thursday too. If it costs too much to fix it, I'm just going to nix the whole deal and buy a new one.

Thanks for all your help.

Eric

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I also know of a place where you can buy a new cable at a very low price . I always send every-one to Lowe Electronics . I get my cables for around $36 . Alot better price than any boat dealer . Give him a call and he will fix you up .

Here is all the contact info :
    Larry Lowe
    1806 Brimfield Rd.
    Columbus , Oh 43229
    (614)885-3601

6. DaleM

The only problem going to Lowe is he's not a certified repair shop. I know he does good work but if it breaks again you SOL. It may be covered under warrenty, and if it is the repair is free. Boat things will also sell you any part you need, he may be a little higher but again he is the Ohio repair shop for both Minn Kota and Motor Guide.

7. Hey guyts,

Ty told me the cable would be about $25 and the labor might be $50. If it is the cable that is. then we got to talking about upgrading mine trolling motor to 72 lbs. witht he same unit. I'm still not too sure on that one, but it will have to wait until I return from my honeymoon to HAwaii. I'm not opposed to purchasing a new one, as mine is very old and tempermental.

Thanks again though,

Eric

8. DaleM

Eric:
    He did mine over a year ago and man what a difference. All new parts etc. like a new motor at less tha half the cost.