Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 17' Lowe aluminum bass boat that I'm considering upgrading the trolling motor on. The current unit is an OMC, not sure of the thrust power. I'm hoping to find a used one on craigslist or here but am not sure about what sort of thrust power I need to be looking at. I'm guessing boat weight factors in, is it possible to have too much power on the trolling motor?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I have an aluminum 17'6" tracker pro v, currently it has a 12v 55# thrust cable steer MG tm, it's variable speed. I've had this current set up for 5 years I guess and I like it very much.
The boat came with a 30# 5 speed when it was new. The 30# was okay but was definitely lacking on the windier days. When it came time to upgrade, I went to a 24v, 71# 5 speed. I used it for 2 years and I truly hated that tm. Even at it's slowest speeds it was just way too fast for my style of fishing. I guess if I had went to a variable speed 24v I could have slowed it down some. I decided life's just too short to put up with things that just aren't working out so I sold the tm at a loss and went back to the 12v set up mentioned above.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If your OMC is 24 volt it's around 58 lbs thrust depending on what model it is.

Your OMC trolling motor is probably one of the best TM's that were ever made. The newer Motor Guides and Minn Kota's are more powerful and prettier, but are no where as quiet and trouble free as most of the OMC's were. 60-70 lbs should be more than sufficient for a 17 aluminum boat but you can never have too much TM power.

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
i got a 45 lb 12/24 on my ranger ( 5 speeds on each voltage) and on 12v speed 1 i can CREEP in shallow water, and on speed [email protected] i can almost create wake (( or get thrown out of the boat (no lie) if i aint serious)). id recommend one of them if you can find it, its a motorguide , but my buddy just got a nice 65 lb on craigslist. if i upgrade ill get a 70, but i aint upgrading till this one quits... and its alr3eady 24 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts