close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trolling motor size

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by mkatts, May 16, 2005.

1. Hello all,
    I have a 1994 Laser 17 foot bass boat. Fiberglass. 120HP Johnson OB. The trolling motor is dead. It's an OMC 12/24 volt. I have no idea what size it is to buy a replacement. How can I either tell what the old one is or figure out how strong of a new one to buy? I will have 2 deep cycle batteries already from the old motor to use. I am limited on $$ so I don't want to buy a 70# if a 50# will be fine.

Also, this may seem like a dumb question, but how is the shaft length measured? Is it just the actual shaft itself? Or from the top of the whole unit to the bottom the skegg?

Just measuring the shaft, mine is 43", if you just go off of the shaft length would a 42" be ok?

Thanks!

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Here is a site with some suggestions. It's always better to go for as much thrust as you can. Better to have too much than not enough. http://www.alltrollingmotors.com/

3. thanks!

I think I am going to just get a 70# just to make sure I have enough. Better to much than not enough. I think I would rather go with a TM with less bells and whistles and more power. I was originally going to buy a smaller motor to get the 55PD with all the electronic controls and all and the maximizer. But I have never ran out of battery power so I am not worried about it to much.

Thanks again.
    Joe

4. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Always better too have too much than not enough

5. i settled on a 65# Minn kota All-terrain for $399 including shipping. I was going to get the 70# AT but it was $514. I didn't think 5lbs difference was worth $114 so I got the 65 and bought a new fish finder to with the new TM!

My wife is rolling her eye at me.

Oh well, got some new toys coming!

6. I agree with the guys that say "the bigger the better". I've got a 16 foot v-bottom aluminum and loaded down with my junk a 55# Minn Kota doesn't send it into hyper speed for sure. It doesn't do bad mind you but could do better. The one thing I really like about my MK is the power drive function. It's got the electric motor driven direction control and the foot control is on a long cord that I can take anywhere in the boat to operate. Makes it handy if I want to stay in the back of the boat (tiller) on choppy days or electric trolling.

7. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

We have a 74# Minn-Kota Maxxum on our boat and it is just fine. Best trolling motor I have owned. I think a 65# or 55# would be fine but like someone said too much power is better then not enough power.

8. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have a 55# on my boat and have no trouble even in the wind. It is a 18' bass boat. It is the absolute smallest I would go on my boat. Id say 70# might be a little overkill for a 17' bass boat, but like the other guys say more power is great. Get something between 55 and 70 and you'll be fine.