close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trolling motor shaft size

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by moose, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I have fisher 16 pro avenger deep v boat it is just like the 16 bass tracker.
    I would like to put a trolling motor on it . I measured the top of bow to the water level and it measures 24" do you thank a 42" shaft will work?

moose

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

if your gonna use it in a chop you might want to go longer.

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

As freyedknot said using it on Erie or other rough bodies of water will warrant a longer shaft like 54" or 60". However if you are primarily going to boat inland lakes I would guess a 42" would be fine.

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

I've wondered this myself as I've been wanting to upgrade (remote trolling motor) and was unsure how this works. By the way, good boat. I have the same boat and love it!

5. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Besides waves, it also matters how these boats set in the water. If they are transom heavy, that will increase the length of shaft needed. I have a 50" 55lb. thrust on an 18' deep v aluminum, and have seen times I don't think a 60" would be long enough. The real downside to having such a long shaft is in shallow water, the thing is sticking up so much above the boat. Even at 50", I never seem to fail to hit it with the rod or lure, or get it caught in overhanging trees. The real downside to a deep V, is the amount of wind hitting the sides, always blowing you off course. If I had it to do over(and might) I would get the most powerful motor that you have room for batteries to run. You can always run it on 1/2 or less, but have the extra umph when you need it. Also, to snake69, I don't know about the Motorguides, but unless they've changed, the Minn Kota powerdrives, IMO, turn too slow. With the high sides getting blown around, it seems like I spend a lot of time turning the motor back and forth, to the point of turning with my hand sometimes, because it's faster.

6. What trolling motor do you have now? I have a 40lb minn kota 48" shaft powerdrive. It makes all kinds of noise and i've replaced the pedal twice.

7. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i have a 16 ft backtroller and i went to the 60 inch shaft on mine

8. SwollenGoat

I forgot to mention I also have a Fisher, but it is a Hawk 170 SC. I previously had a 50# MK PD with a 48" shaft that worked fine unless the water was really rough. (I haven't had it up to Erie yet.) I just recently replaced it with a 54" 70# MK PD and the extra length (and power) has helped quite a bit.

*Nice thing about the MK PD's is the fact that even if your shaft is too long you can easily loosen the shaft collar, raise the shaft an re-tighten the collar to whatever depth you need. I've done it this way in some really skinny water while crappie fishing and it works like a charm. ;)

[​IMG]

9. I have a lot of play . when I turn it off and on it movers back and forth. I thank it is the mount set. I do like that you can raise the motor up and down. I used that opion when I was in canada and we was fishing some shallow bays. Just did not if the play was normal for the powerdrive motor.

moose

10. SwollenGoat

Yeah, I seemed to notice it more on my older PD vs. the new one. (Both are mounted using MK quick release bracket.) Not sure if a direct mount would have given more rigidity.

11. I was thanking of replacing my mk because of the play. The motor runs fine. I know a guy who has a motorguide 55lbs 42" long. He only wants $175. But afraid it might be to short.

thanks moose

12. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Nothing to do with shaft size, but I thought this might be useful, as your talking about a new trolling motor. Minn Kota's rule of thumb is to use a motor with 2lbs of thrust for every 100lbs of boat weight. Something to keep in mind.

13. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Moose,
    I have a Motor Guide #52 thrust. But my buddy who liked my boat went out and bought one identical to Swollen Goats, and he has the exact trolling motor and pedal on his(as mine), and it does just fine. Now I'm not sure of the length because I'm not certain how they measure.....just the shaft itself?, or from the top of the motor to the fin on the bottom? But whatever mine is, it seems to run fine, it will pop out of the water(slightly) in rough water on Erie, but never been that much of problem!!

14. I measured just the shaft and Mine was 52".

thanks moose