Trolling Motor questions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

What lb thrust do you think would be good for a 14foot john boat. This boat is also thin (not wide) and a flat bottom. I was thinking 40-50lbs. Will be used mainly in creeks and rivers, some ponds, and maybe a lake lol, so all water.

Also any other info you would like to fill me in on, with accessories or what not. My dad seems to have it covered, but I'm just looking for other info on it.

Thanks.

2. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

40-50 is plenty for your boat. I was hunting rivers with less. My new rig is a 14' but is 6' wide. I will be running (2) 50lbs and (1) 28 lb for trolling around.

3. Bubba bass bigfoot

Alright cool.
    Thanks.

And like the Pic, no cute phrase here, GO BLUE!!!!!

4. BigChessie

I forgot to add something though, alot is going to depend on what all you plan on hauling around with you. I always figured when it comes to power..........you can never have to much. lol And yes! Go Blue for sure! Big 10 in is for a world of hurt now. lol

5. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

are u looking into a transom or bow mounted trolling motor?

6. Bubba bass bigfoot

not sure, im thinking transom.

7. Tried the minn kota vector 3x last year and ended up returning it. The handle way too long and it drained the battery way, way too fast....faulty maximizer. I will be shopping for a 55 lb thrust maxxum transom mount this spring. Always had good luck with minn kota's. They have more options for transom mounts than motorguide. Better yet get a torqeedo. Look them up.

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Bubba, I have the same size boat as you do and I run a 40lb thrust. Sometimes I wish I had a little more, especially when I have someone else in the boat and the wind is howling

9. fishingredhawk

10. BigChessie

Wouldn't it make a difference what kind of fishing or why he is even needing the trolling motor, Before it would be a definite location? I don't think I would be comfortable with a bow mount when hitting creeks and summer level rivers. There is no way I would try that mount from bass pro. Read the first couple reviews and imagine running a shallow creek with it.:D

11. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

my jon is the same size and i have a 40lb on the back and a 30lb on the front. when in small waters...i also use a 6hp 1969 johnson evinrude...its perfect. might want to consider.

12. I'd go with a 55# if I'm not mistaken thats the bigest you can get in 12V. And at only about 50.00 more for the same brand in a 40# get as much power as you can. Just a tip if you plan to mount a transom mount motor on the bow. Get one of those big foot switches so you can turn the motor on and off with your foot then you can just bump the tiller handle with your leg to steer. If your cheep like me and don't want to drop 15.00 for a switch go to a junk yard or auto parts store and buy a headlight dimmer switch like trucks use for the high beams and wire that in for your switch. Works just as good.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

for mounting a transom mount motor on the bow,here's a nifty idea to solve the problem of hittimg rocks or stumps the BC mentioned.there are situations where bow mounting is helpful,and i think this setup would work well.
    scroll down the page to trolling motor mount.

http://www.secretweaponlures.com/odf/odfsite.html

14. Thats a great article misfit. A lot of excellent details in there. Thanks

15. fishingredhawk

I use one and get up and down the rivers no problem. This is the best buy I've had in a while. If it can stand up to the wear and tear I put on it, it can stand up to most anyone's.

he is also going to be bass fishing, and wants to get in some tournaments this year, as is evidenced by most of his posts.

16. BigChessie

My answer was based on this info and what he was asking help with.

I don't follow his posts, so without it being mentioned in his 1st post. I have no way of knowing this.

I am sure it may work on rivers but the creeks and summer level rivers here, you get as far as you can go. Then spend the rest of the time wading. I don't know anyone with a bow mount on a flat bottom-creeks-ponds and shallow river jon boat down here. But I am only speaking for my local area and our local water.

Awesome idea and I think I will give it a try for when we are bowfishing. Thanks for the info.

17. Bubba bass bigfoot

Thanks for all the help. it will make things easier.

Redhawk is right. I will be looking into tournaments, and all i do is bass fish lol. Nothing better.

18. The Big JG

The Big JG 7# Huntin'

I think the more thrust the better (you can always use a lower gear)...what can you afford? This is especially true when fishing lakes like Hargus, AEP, Fox; or rivers such as the Miami or Olentangy - places where it is difficult to run the outboard. I used to run 40 pounds on the front and 36 on the back (on seperate batteries) enabling me to have one of the fastest boats on 'electric motor only' lakes.