close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling motor question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CoolWater, Jul 7, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

My folks gave me their old small aluminum boat with a 7.5 hp on it. It's been a fun boat to run around the Sanduskly River on but I wanted to possibly start taking it to some of the smaller reservoirs that are electric only. What do you guys recommend as far as # thrust? Thanks

PS I know on the upground reservoirs the wind can kick up pretty good

O yea, sorry this should have gone in the boats/motors forum

2. I have fished the upgrounds of northwestern Ohio for the past 30 + years. And you are correct about the wind, a pain in the rear most of the time, down right dangerous sometimes.

With this in mind I would recommend the most powerful electric motor you can afford.

Coolwater --- This is what my upground boat is like. You can compare it to yours and get somewhat of an idea what you my need in a electric trolling motor.

13 Ft. 11 in. Lone Star V- hull fishing, about 130 lbs. Two 27 size batteries @ 60 lbs each, two anchors a 15 and 10 pounder, myself 175 lbs and add another 50 lbs in tackle boxes, rod & reels, fish finder, aqua- vu, side planers and other stuff.
    Pushing this 500 lbs with a Minn-Kota Endura transom 12 volt 55 lb thrust motor, that does a good job slow trolling crawlers and leeches on Lindy rigs, yet will get me back to the boat ramp on the windy days.

I have about worn out the 55 Endura, looking to replace it next year. I have had a M/K Maxxum 70 on my boat and didn't see enough differance to warrant going to a 24 volt system. But I fish alone and the 55 works very well on the old Lone Star. Next year a new 12 volt 55.:)

3. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Thanks for the reply and info, very helpful.