Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 43lb thrust trolling motor on my boat. The prop seems to be tightening its self down, so tight that it wont turn, everytime i use it at full power. I then have to losen the nut, and pound the prop out a little until it spins freely, then it happens again. Anyone have a clue whats goin on? is there a spacer that could have worn or something?

·
Registered
526 Posts
There should be a star washer under the nut which, I think, Keeps the prop from doing that

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do live near Akron/ Canton? If so, just take it to Mogadore bait and tackle, ask for Jeff, they do really good work at great rates.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
not to state the obvious, but fishing line will stop them as fast as anything. I bought one off craigslist the the guy said wouldn't work, but it was that a screw had rusted through on the what I believe is the cellanoid(sp?) it had just enough motion to stop the motor. Fixed the bolt and it worked. I've taken them apart many times, and fixed a few. I would just take the prop off and check for the line if you haven't. I've gotten stuck on the water a few times because of the line problem, and always take tools with me now, as I run completely on a trolling motor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something you could check: I have a Motor Guide trolling motor, your's may be a little different. If you take the prop off, there is a pin that goes through the motor shaft that keeps the prop from moving when attatched. While you're looking to see if there is line or anything else fouling the motor, check to see if there is a pin or if its missing. The pin on my motor would also keep the prop from being overtightened against the motor. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine is a motorguide 40 bow mount. do i just pound the prop off once thats nuts taken off or is there a certain way to take it off?

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
mine is a motorguide 40 bow mount. do i just pound the prop off once thats nuts taken off or is there a certain way to take it off?
After reading this, i'd stongly advise you to take it to someone that repairs motors professionally. You may or will damage your shaft and render your motor useless by pounding on it.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
On my Minn Kota there is a pin through the shaft that keeps the prop from doing just that. I replaced the plastic nut also with a teflon lock nut. After each or everyother trip I remove the prop and remove the fishing line behind the prop that is there every time. When are these guys going to learn not to unspool their line in the lakes?
goodluck
later
don m

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Every trolling motor (I) ever owned, had a shear pin in the prop and a couple even a cotter key in the lock nut. Sounds like yours is missing one/both of these. Check the shaft closely to see if theres some holes that are plugged and not apparent. Mono line melted into these will hide them pretty well I'm sure. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts