trolling motor parts

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by freyedknot, Dec 26, 2007.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have a 1 yearold motor guid motor and the shaft locking ring (plastic) broke! i need to fix it but i will have to take the steering head w/all the wires off to replace it. anybody have any other ideas to fix it without taking the top steering part off?

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I have no other ideas, but if you have to that be careful. Same thing happened to me a couple years ago and I tried "fixing" my self and that didn't go too well. I just gave it away to an OGF member this Summer as a parts motor.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

what went wrong? mark the wires and remove them??? slide the collar onto the shaft and re assemble? i hope?

4. ParmaBass

Yeah, the wires were't the problem it was the shaft removal, I came across some type of bearing. It was white and had bunch of tiny bb's in it, I lost half of them and it woudn't go back together properly.

5. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to laugh, but just got this mental pic of you pulling it apart and BBs flying all over the place and bouncing around on the floor:D I probably got the mental pic because I can picture something like that happening to me:D

6. ParmaBass

That's pretty much how it happened.:p
    I was going to try to salvage it, but the wait time at the dealer was like 2 months and I didn't want to buy the parts and attempt to "fix" it again. Just bit the bullet and got a new one.