close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling motor issue.

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fish4Fun, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I was out at knox today and cruising down the lake at #10 setting and nothing it just quit. So i start looking and i find my fuse link is basically melted. And the glass fuse has lost one end pcs in the link. So no other options i cut away the melted plastic and put in the spare fuse and finish fishing. I work maint and figure iam drawing to much current but why, the trolling motor is not even 2yrs old. Anything i could check?

What are my possible issues?

2. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

The connection in the fuse holder may have been loose causeing arching;which in turn caused it to melt,also check the shaft behind the prop for fishing line.

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thanks fish tale i will check those items the motor seems to run fine with no issues so it is possible the connection was bad or loose causing the arching didn't think about that.

4. fish4fun, i had the same thing happen to me ,i put a automatic breaker 40 AMP in from gander mountain because i tore the holder up to bad.

5. You could have deteriorated wiring somewhere, any place the wiring is less than perfect, the voltage will have a harder time getting to the motor, thus raising your current. You should try and keep the same size fuse, but if you raise it for a quick fix you should look at all the wiring (bottom of boat) to make sure it isn't rusting. FYI I had the same thing happen and ended up re-wiring my whole boat with a larger guage wire. I'd imagine the current is much lower now, but haven't checked. Feel the wire going from your plug to your motor, it may be much hotter if there is a lot of current flowing down to the motor. If it is too hot, a wire will become a cheap fuse and burn through when too much current is applied (i.e. fire).

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thanks for the addvice guys. The wiring in the boat is all new last yr and the battery for the trolling motor sets right under the deck were the trolling motor is mounted. I felt the wiring at the time and the only area that felt very hot was at the fuse connection and cpl inchs on each side everything else including the wiring going to my disconnect plug and the manufacture wiring from the plug out felt normal.

7. Sounds like you found your problem then. Good luck