Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a glass pak really worth the extra money ? Using a 12 volt deep cycle conventional now for a 55 lb trolling motor .I've got 4 years out of it but only last 4 hrs now .Used to last at least 6 hrs .

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
There is some benefits to agm batteries. But I'm not sure it's going to last a long enough amount of time to make it worth the price difference. What size battery are you running now

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
AGM batteries can take more of a “ beating “ vs a plated battery. If the plates get knocked loose and touch each other then that’s when they short out thus giving the AGM more life because it has glass so I’ve been told. I went with all AGM and the cost.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Personally, I’d opt for Walmart's deep cycle if needing one today! But
there have been tremendous advancements in “battery technology“ in the recent past, and more developing all the time. So much so that a prominate investing show I watched recently said “anybody with a brain(the “average” Joe invester!) who doesn’t invest in the VERY near future(somehow!) in electric automobiles will surely miss a big payday! Not just in the car manufacturers but batteries, switches, mini computers, relays, even “raw materials” that go into any ecar components(Esp. Batteries!) The “super-rich“ have “already” invested billions in cheap “start up” company stocks-that are expected to produce hundreds, if not thousands of times their current value when “IN TEN YEARS”, A MAJOR PERCENTAGE(75%>)OF ALL NEW CARS SOLD WILL BE ELECTRIC!! New ecar releases are already happening! Seen the new all electric Mustang yet?(All of this is part of The Clean, Green Environmental Big Plan.)

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,696 Posts
My next to last car battery was from WalMart. I finally gave up the ghost last November after the first really cold night of the Winter. I had to put the charger on it, and then drove it down to Auto Zone for a new one. Once he tested and pulled my old battery, I looked at the sticker on it, and realized that I had gotten 8 1/2 years out of it! Not bad! Also, my new "base model" battery cost a good $45 more than the old one did!

·
The end is near
7,602 Posts
Whenever I get a new battery, I scribe the date on top. Like - 7/21
Then X amount of years from now when that sticker that you punch out the date, falls off and you can't find your paperwork.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am replacing my trolling motor battery this year it still works and holds a charge but I saw the date on top 2010.I have really good luck with Walmart batteries.I use them in all my vehicles and equipment.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
I am replacing my trolling motor battery this year it still works and holds a charge but I saw the date on top 2010.I have really good luck with Walmart batteries.I use them in all my vehicles and equipment.
X2! A mechanic friend who knows guys in the Wmart garage said they‘ve told him that most of their “low end”(cheap!) auto batteries are “same ones“ as their pricier ones in different wrappers/labelling! One yr basic, full replacement warranties! Keep your receipts JIC!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The difference between the AGM and the Wet Cell is power discharge. The AGM will discharge at a full amp usage setting until it's expired. You can run that trolling motor at the 3 setting, same speed until it dies. The Wet Cell performance starts dropping from the time you start using it, so using the same 3 setting, before it dies you'll be using the 4 then the 5 and so on. You'll have a steady decline in power until it's used up. Also the AGM's will take more times charging thru the life of the battery. Five years usage on my AGM 31's and they get used a lot.

·
Saved Fish
247 Posts
If looking to invest extra money I think the bang for the buck would be in Lithium. I spent my latest vote-buying stimulus check on a pair of LiFePo4 batteries. (You can find them for around $600/apiece). They last so much longer than the Deep Cycle batteries; They deliver full power all though the discharge cycle -- this means, to me, at the end of the day the performance is still as it was at the beginning of the day. (And, in my experience so far, I am getting better performance out of my TM to the tune of +0.5MPH); These lithium batteries don't mind sitting at a partially discharged level so now I do not have to fret over whether or not to put them on a charger at the end of a day when I only lightly used them - say for example that are at 90% charged I think that I can leave them go without worrying about shortening their life. Lithium batteries are advertised to support thousands of recharges so I am expecting that I will see a minimum of 10 years of life out of them.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
If the life of a lithium is truly 10 + years you could come out slightly ahead of the game. The issue I see is most of them have to be ordered as such a small private dealer system is in place yet. So when one goes bad you may not be able to run to the store to swap one out

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Friend of mine just bought a 24v lithium battery, $1500 with an 11 year warranty. Not a break even for me yet. I think I will wait hoping prices will come down.

·
9,696 Posts
Friend of mine just bought a 24v lithium battery, $1500 with an 11 year warranty. Not a break even for me yet. I think I will wait hoping prices will come down.
Good luck with that. I heard, I think on a Joe Rogan podcast, where his guest informed us that the largest, minable deposit of Lithium is in northern Mexico. China had an agreement to purchase the property, and get the permits enabling it to mine there. Guess what the advance crews they sent out there ran into? You guessed it, the drug cartels!

They ran a "protection" racket on them, demanding money for their safety. As "gangsta" as the Chinese can be, they weren't ready for that, and pulled out! But, I'm sure they're still interested. And anybody who goes in there will face the same thing.

Reactions: Gottagofishn

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If looking to invest extra money I think the bang for the buck would be in Lithium. I spent my latest vote-buying stimulus check on a pair of LiFePo4 batteries. (You can find them for around $600/apiece). I will see a minimum of 10 years of life out of them.
Simple math.. 31 AGM's @ $200 each x 3 = $600 for 5 years and hundreds of charges.
Lith @ $600 x 3 = $1800.00 for 10 years.
I can buy 15 years of 31 AGM's for the same price, and have the same performance.

·
Saved Fish
247 Posts
Simple math.. 31 AGM's @ $200 each x 3 = $600 for 5 years and hundreds of charges.
Lith @ $600 x 3 = $1800.00 for 10 years.
I can buy 15 years of 31 AGM's for the same price, and have the same performance.
I had a hard time cost justifying the Lithium batteries too... that is why I spent someone else's money on them. LOL.
As an unexpected bonus, the on the water performance of these batteries is impressive. My t-motor runs faster and longer with them... at the beginning of the day they have given me a half MPH boost... by the end of the day the MPH advantage is +1 MPH. (I make a long run back to the ramp on the electric only lake that I fish. The SLA batteries would always show a drop off in performance as I run the motor on the highest setting. The Lithium battery shows no drop off under the same conditions for me. Hot runs are now worry free where I used to worry how my juice my the batteries would have.)

·
2,030 Posts
I had a hard time cost justifying the Lithium batteries too... that is why I spent someone else's money on them. LOL.
As an unexpected bonus, the on the water performance of these batteries is impressive. My t-motor runs faster and longer with them... at the beginning of the day they have given me a half MPH boost... by the end of the day the MPH advantage is +1 MPH. (I make a long run back to the ramp on the electric only lake that I fish. The SLA batteries would always show a drop off in performance as I run the motor on the highest setting. The Lithium battery shows no drop off under the same conditions for me. Hot runs are now worry free where I used to worry how my juice my the batteries would have.)

Do you have to purchase a new charger to charge the Lithium's ?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Walmart can sell their batteries cheaper because they have a huge core turn in. The batteries are the same as Advance sells.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
9,696 Posts
Uh, how can Wal Mart's core turn in be greater than anyone else's. Who doesn't turn a battery core in? Seems to me the ratio would be 1 to 1 no matter where you bought the battery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts