Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my terrova for steering when trolling on Erie. Was up yesterday and batteries died in 3 hours. Looking to replace both as it is a 24v system. I have seen recommendations for 27 and 31 class batteries as well as the different types of batteries.

what would be a good size and type of battery for my application?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I use my terrova for steering when trolling on Erie. Was up yesterday and batteries died in 3 hours. Looking to replace both as it is a 24v system. I have seen recommendations for 27 and 31 class batteries as well as the different types of batteries.

what would be a good size and type of battery for my application?
every baterie shoud list how many Amp/Hours it hold,
you have to know how much Amp/ hour you drew with motor then you divide the baterie nomber.that will give you time how long you can use that on one charge.
operating motor drew defrent Amp/hour,speed 10%,25%,50%.
higher speed more Amp/hour is used.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Where you using it for speed too or just steering? Do you have a kicker? What boat and batteries you have now?

·
Registered
351 Posts
You may need new batteries. I would recommend a Leelock Skeg for your trolling motor. I have one and i rarely run the motor higher than a 2.5 power. I use my prokicker for propulsion and the terrova for steering. With the keel you dont need as much power from the trolling motor unless your making a hard turn into the wind. I love mine.

https://leelock.com/product/lms-01-magnum-skeg/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you using it for speed too or just steering? Do you have a kicker? What boat and batteries you have now?
steering only, I use a kicker for speed. The boat is an 1875 Lund crossover. I currently have class 24 batteries I believe that are close to 4 yrs old. I know I need to upgrade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may need new batteries. I would recommend a Leelock Skeg for your trolling motor. I have one and i rarely run the motor higher than a 2.5 power. I use my prokicker for propulsion and the terrova for steering. With the keel you dont need as much power from the trolling motor unless your making a hard turn into the wind. I love mine.

https://leelock.com/product/lms-01-magnum-skeg/
thanks for the recommendation. Looks like it would help a lot

·
Registered
566 Posts
Following. I think compartment space could dictate. I'm switching from stern electric to bow, probably terrova this winter. Have 2 group 27 & 1 group 24 up front now. I have to research if 2 group 31 or 4 group 24 would be better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
steering only, I use a kicker for speed. The boat is an 1875 Lund crossover. I currently have class 24 batteries I believe that are close to 4 yrs old. I know I need to upgrade.
With a kicker the steering should be on a 3-4 max, and should go 8 hours NO problem proper batteries, I've gone 3 trips with my 3 group 31s before charging keep it low on 2-3 and it lasts forever.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
Get the biggest batteries that will fit! Take a look at Lithium as well, spendy but extremely nice. You also might look at an onboard charging system that allows you to charge your TM batteries while on the water. Several systems out there.

·
2,437 Posts
If you want your battery to last, you should never run them to the point where you can feel that they are starting to die. That will kill a battery quicker than anything. I am into my fourth year with the same batteries that came with my new boat and they are still fine. Diehard 31 series. But like has been said, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 setting & they will last forever. Also get a rudder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want your battery to last, you should never run them to the point where you can feel that they are starting to die. That will kill a battery quicker than anything. I am into my fourth year with the same batteries that came with my new boat and they are still fine. Diehard 31 series. But like has been said, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 setting & they will last forever. Also get a rudder.

Meerkat I think I have read one of your other posts you use 7ft tdr rods for dipsys. What rods are they med. Med heavy, and what line wt.is it rated. THANKS

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Group 24 batteries are worthless for trolling motors not near enough amp hours. Move up to Group 27 or better yet Group 31’s. Avoid the Group 34’s they are not designed for this application.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts