close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling Motor Advice

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by tobakabus, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Hey all... Have a few questions regarding a trolling motor. I've had a pontoon boat for two years now but no trolling motor. I really want a trolling motor a. for backup in case I run into outboard problems and b. so I can more effectively navigate shore lines when fishing with the kids.

My buddy just gave me an older (Don't know the year) Minn Kota Turbo 555 trolling motore that he said works fine. My first issue is that it has a regular (fold down) style mount that's way too big for the pontoon boat. I was looking for Pontoon specific mounts but it does not look like Minn Kota makes one? Motorguide makes one and in looking at what it looks like, the previous owner of my boat had a motorguide trolling motor mount on the boat (Can see the bolt pattern and wear in the carpet.)

Anyone know if the motorguide pontoon motor mount will work for a minn kota trolling motor? In looking at it, I would assume we're only talking about shaft diameter here. Anyone done it?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

As they say; "If there's a will, there's a way..."

I would say there would have to be a way to fabricate a custom mount to use that motor. If you know anybody with welding/fabricating skills that would be a big plus.

I have seen many engineering marvels that started out as nothing more than a problem, a few dedicated guys, a fridge full of beer and garage full of tools. :D

3. Thanks! I'll see what I can come up with. I was hoping ram-mounts had something but didn't find anything on their site.