Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this with any success? If so, what size did you have the most success with? I have tried the Lake Erie size harnesses, Size 2 willow blades with 6mm beads, and have had very limited success. I have tied a couple dozen smaller ones with 4mm beads, #3 Colorado or Indiana blades, with smaller gamakatsu hooks, and in the past have done well on the crappie, but not necessarily the walleye.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Several times out with a "Friend" we have fished a 1/2 to 3/4 ox weight forward 12"- 14" long rig, 2 #6 hooks rigged harness with 1 1 1/2" Colorado blade (Chartruese) with 4- 6 "glo" beads behind the blade. Use a VERY BRIGHT light to "charge" the beads just before deploying.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have trolled a thousand times down there with everything and not caught walleye. Lots of crappie between the 'island' and the old boat ramp on the north end. Best luck for walleye has been drifting along the stones along the dam. If I hadn't seen some nice fish in other guys coolers at the ramp I would swear they aren't in there.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Better yet, show up for the late March/ early April walleye nettings by ODNR usually at the main boat ramp; thr public is invited. Usually there several 12- 13 lb "wallygators" present. As far as CATCHING them, a variety of tactics. Personally have had MUCH better luck using a "glo" jig with a small leech around dusk and dawn at the mouth of the Marina over the yrs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks I'll try that sometime. Cj frustrates me because I love the lake but I rarely catch walleye there. The first eye I ever caught was right off the beach in my dads boat (25 yrs ago) so I always cruise that for nostalgia but that fish must have been hopelessly lost because I have never caught one there since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts