close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trolling harness wire

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by davef, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Can someone please advise where i can get some of the wire that is used to tie up the 2 hook trolling harness's like are for sale at snug harbor. I am interested in the type where the wire can be snelled onto the hooks, Also i noticed these still had the attachment loop completed with a crimped sleeve. Can a loop knot be made at this point the same as i do mono or must i use the wire sleeves?

I am in the process of ordering a few things from cabelas and if they have the correct wire i want to include it. I know cabelas has wire but i don't know which one can be used this way. Thank you.

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I would skip the wire, on my double willow harnesses I like to use 30 pound fireline, alot more stealthy than wire and easier to store and it won't kink up on you. put a ball bearing swivel on the end to connect to leaders.

Attached Files:

3. i remember those ... didn't we catch a ho bunch of walleye on the one the right this past weekend???

kevorikian with lime green puke dots..... LOL

Frank

4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Yes we did both the blue huckleberry and the purple is called Cj's special you retard...LOL...it's the big fish bait remember.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

K, where can I pickup some of those "CJ's special you retard"...??? They look mighty fine. :D

6. Rodney you have to get them delivered off the Polish/Short bus.

7. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Ohh Yeah that's right...but unfortuneatly for you this buss doen't visit BUNGAL town...GO STEELERS.

Seriously though..Cj's special has a purple back, it's a big fish killer, Craig at Erie can get them for you.

8. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

well at least kgone is kind of a good guy and has good taste in football teams......i never knew you were a steelers fan Kev, im a pittsburgh boy born and raised untill uncle sam sent me to cleveland AKA satans @$$hole :p

9. Can the hooks be snelled on when using fireline? If yes that sounds like the plan.

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

yes and they snell great and get super tight when pulled. easier to snell them actually.

11. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

If you want to tie harnesses with wire, I use Berkley 15# black coated wire and it ties up okay. It takes a little practice to not kink the wire when snelling, but it can be done. I make a crimped sleeve loop on the leader end to attach to the main line. Using these in toothy critter country adds a certain reassurance I wont bring in a cut line should a pike or musky take my offering.

I have made several harnesses with wire and most often, they catch as many fish as those tied with fluoro. However, I will attest a more stealthy presentation will out perform wire on certain days.

12. go to janns netcraft website they have what you need