close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trolling for crappie

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishintechnician, Aug 8, 2007.

1. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i read an article in a mag some years back that was saying the best way to catch summer slabs is to troll for them using small cranks and spinners or jigs. just wandering if anyone has tried it and with what result

2. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

Not sure on trolling but i do know vertical jig'n works very well, this time of the year crappie should be in 12-15 FOW, just have to find them, but once you do the bite is on!!!! Good Luck! :B

3. Yep, it works fishintechnican.
    I pull a weight forward spinner (erie dearie) tipped with a worm and it does pick 'em up in the late summer. Usually the bigger ones go for it. Is also a good way to locate them if sonar is not working.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

trolling works,but right now casting and vertical jigging as fishinking mentioned can be tops.they're concentrated on the bait schools now,so find the bait and you find the fish.

5. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

I've been trolling crankbaits for summer crappie for years. Depending on depth I pretty much stick with #5, 7, 9 Shad Raps trolled at 2mph or less. 6lb test line with about 60-80 ft. out. White crappie tend to school up offshore during the warmer weather.

6. fishintechnician

thanks for the tips. what colors and sizes work best when when verticle jiging. Is there any special way to rig the jig, and should i target submerged cover, ledges or just use my fish finder and look for schools of fish?

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

for vertical jigging,i like 3/16 to 1/4 ounce spoons and vibes for crappies.silver,blue are my favorites,but others work well.right now fish flats and drops in about 12-16 feet of water.the key is to find large schools of bait and fish under them.this is best for the few weeks after the shad hatch.

8. I've had incredible luck this time of year trolling for crappies. I usually use jointed rapala cranks, shad imitations. Ususally done from a canoe and trolling motor on small ponds/strip pits.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

summertime trolling is one of my favorites also.small cranks(even bigger ones) work great,but roadrunners and vibes are a couple more of my favorites.i just love the vertical bite at this particular time of year:)

10. I haven’t caught large numbers but I have gotten some hoss Crappie trolling Wally Divers at West Branch. We call them skiers, because your rod never goes down and eventually you’ll look out and see a fish skipping across the surface…….TightLines!

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

wally divers,hot n tots,reefrunners,etc have all put nice fish in my boat also.

12. EE

EE

In past years, we've picked up plenty of Crappie at both Alum and Hoover while trolling for saugeye with shadraps and jerkbaits (sometimes to a point of being a pain). It's been my experience that crappie are not finicky eaters; size 4 and 5 shad raps are some of our favorites (mostly the 4's), but it seemed that whatever we put in the water eventually picked up crappie. We haven't trolled Alum or Hoover nearly as much the past 2 seasons, but I'm guessing things haven't changed.

With crappie "schooling", it would seem to me that if you are able to locate them, you might get greater numbers by working over a given area for a while, rather than trolling through them and continuing on to look for another school. Find the fish and either anchor down, or use your electric to zip around the area a bit.

Good luck!

13. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

A hot n tot is a darn good lure for both saugeye and crappie this time of year. Although, if I am specifically targeting crappie I prefer to slow troll with the electric and pullin 3" twister tails. That tail action really entices em. I usually look for a weedy flat from 10-15 fow. The key is to keep the bait down and I use a drop shot rig for this.

CG

14. fishintechnician

tanks for the tips! i'm heading out tommorw so i'll probably give them a try. hopefully i can get a good mess because the frying pan is calling my name! the last few times i went out i've just stuck with the minnow and a float, not done to bad but i can't seem to find the ones with any size to them. hopefully switching it up will do the trick. any other suggestions are appericiated. hopefully my luck will change this time out i'll keep you posted.

15. fishinking

fishinking G0 Bucks!

Good Luck, let us know how you do!!!

16. fishintechnician

i went out but i didn't get to try out the trolling part had some engine problems. but when i get a chance to try it out i'll definetly let you know how i did.