Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some of you trolling experts to help me out,I need suggestions on rod and reel combos.Also leader mat and length for spoons,which size spoons.I bought a couple size 0 dipseys,do i need the larger size as well? I want to start fishing around Cleveland any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
8ft dip rods , big dipsyes, make leaders out of 15/17#mono. use only ball bearing swivels , I use them at the line and both ends of the leaders, line counter reels ,and you should be set , a big net, some spoons .

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more of name brands on the rod reel combos thanks for the info!

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
gander mtn prolly has some daiwa line counter combo's on the flooor. they are the only ones i can reccomend. about $80.00 for 1 combo. out some mono backing then power braid over top of it for trolling.you should tag along to see how it all comes together while on the water. otherwise there iss way to much info to type out .

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
I just picked up a pretty nice Diawa combo at Dicks for $69.99. The reel was marked at $50.00 alone. I used a $10 off $50 or more and got it real cheap.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
I was thinking more of name brands on the rod reel combos thanks for the info!
Go to a reputable dealer, like The Rod Maker Shoppe in Strongsville, or Vermilion Sportsman Outpost, or Erie Outfitters. Talk with them, give them the size of your boat, how and where you want to fish, and let them direct you.

Buy the best gear you can afford, and buy all your Dipsy rods & reels alike and all your board rods & reels alike.

Trolling gear does not need to be high tech. Diawa & Okuma make some decent rods for around 30 bucks. Spend more on the reels and less on the rods.

Little spoons are popular and effective but with the number of small white bass, the standard size spoons are the go to size right now.

Search the archives for any subject you wish. There's tons of info in there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What makes a Dipsey rod a Dipsey rod and not a board or Jet rod?

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Most guys want a beefier rod for Dipsys (rated for 18 - 25 or 20 - 30# test line). Board rods are usually 10- 18 or 12 - 20# test line).

There some med action med. power downrigger rods that some use for both.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Dipsy size really depends on how deep the water is you are fishing and where the fish are actively feeding. At luhrjensen.com (maker of dipsy divers) you can find the dive curves/depths and other tech info on how to run dipsys

Size 0 will get you down to around 30-35 foot, to get deeper you probably will need some size 1 divers. I like to run the 0 size with longer line out and generally seem to do better with 0 than with size 1.........thats just me and my opinion.

As someone stated, try to get out with someone who runs dipsys and or boards. You will learn in one outing what would take many trips by yourself.

Good luck and be safe out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts