close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trolling Battery

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by AEFISHING, Jan 4, 2005.

1. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

Does anyone have any experience of a good trolling battery that will take eight hours of crappie fishing in a day?

2. I think your question is a bit vague so you may get quite a range of answers. First of all, you mention that it will last 8 hours. By that do you mean trolling motor use? If so how big is your trolling motor? Are you planning on using the motor for positioning or actually trolling? How big of a boat are you pushing around? Are you running other electronics off the same battery? If you can supply some of these answers I am sure that we have some guys here that can give you some pretty good information.

3. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

I have a 17.5 foot Aluminum boat. It has a 42 lb trolling motor I believe. I know it is 40 something. I slow troll and move with it to different positions when bobber fishing. I am running my fish finder and lights off of this battery as well.

4. Check into Trojan Batteries. They make some real large batteries. Gander may or may not carry the larger Trojan's but Norton Marine in Akron does and can help you pick the proper size.

5. I've heard good things about Everstart batteries. They have marine trolling brand at Wal Mart. I haven't tried them yet, but picked up some for next year. Your trolling motor hooked to a 12 volt system running at full speed will draw approx the same ampere as motor size per hour. IE running a 45 lb thrust at full speed for 1 hour will draw 45 amperes from battery. Most batteries are rated 75 -115 ampere. I'd get the bigger battery 115 ampere sells for $55 at Wal Mart. You may also want to look into running 24v system.

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Everstarts! I can troll all day long with mine (constant), or get 2 days of stop-n-go usage one one charge (24v system, 56lb troller).

7. I'll second what ShortDrift said regarding Trojan batteries (from Gander Mountain). I have a pretty heavy (when all loaded up with gear and fuel) 16 1/2 ft aluminum deep-v with a Minnkota powerdrive 55# mounted on the bow. I will spend an afternoon on restricted or electric only lakes over my way like Woodcock Creek and Tamarak without any problem. Keep in mind I don't run the entire lake, I pick a spot to target, launch as close as possible and work that area most of the day. The way I have mine setup is I'm using two deepcycles wired together to give me a large 12V bank. So far I've never been left without power (knock on wood). The downside is Tojan battteries are pretty large and my boat is designed for a single 12V deepcycle so getting two into the bow battery compartment was a bit of an adventure. They pack in there tight, but quite well after a little re-engineering of the compartment.

Barry

8. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

Cant beat em for the money!! I carry 2 deep cycles with me all the time an as long as I charge them before going out I get a days worth of fishing out the main and never have to switch to the backup one. Ive ran them all day crappie fishing the coves and used them for makin short runs between coves and they havent let me down. Ive made 3 trips out on one charge before and still had the power to hold the boat where i wanted it...

Sowbelly

9. You are not going to get 8 hours out of the size 27 operating on 12 volt. Believe me, I have used the Everstart with a 43# Minn Kota with maximizer for saugeye on Peidmont, trolling and moving around through the day and the best I ever did was six hours in a calm wind. Lewis can verify that as we did a lot of saugeye fishing on Peidmont. The Everstart is probably the best bang for the buck but I could never find anything larger than the 27 deep cycle which just didn't do it. I had a 55# on my 16.5ft Lund and the Trojan battery from Norton did the job. :)

10. AEFISHING

AEFISHING Crappie Freak

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.