Trolling at night. :confused:

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Juan More Fish, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

:confused:
    Would like to find some one who could help me learn the ropes of trolling at night.
    I have tried and have been :S every time. The only way i catch fish at nigt is on the banks. Cant seem to catch a fishh at night from my darn boat!
    Want to learn. Looking for Mr mayogo.Master:p

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

OK, I'll try to be of some help.

Need some info first...

WHERE are you fishing.
    WHAT type of fish are you fishing for.
    HOW are you fishing for them?

3. Juan More Fish

1st i love catching fish.
    2nd i like saugeye and crappie.
    Just never had any luck in 2 years fishing from my boat.
    I can fish from the bank and get catfish,all night, but nothing else.:(

4. From my experience, trolling at night is a real crapshoot during the warm water months unless conditions are perfect -- which is rare. By perfect I mean the right wind blowing the right bait in the right direction with a falling barometer. I couldn't even tell you the last time we had a decent breeze around here after dark. Those conditions seem to occur more frequently starting in late fall.

Saugeye and cats like to forage in shallow water (0'-10') at night. That's probably why you've done well from the bank. You may be fishing too deep from the boat.

5. Juan More Fish

Thats the info i need. Thanks for the reply.:)

6. Saugeye and cats like to forage in shallow water (0'-10') at night. That's probably why you've done well from the bank. You may be fishing too deep from the boat.

Another part of that equation would be, that the fish aren't necessarily on the bottom.

Have you ever caught a catfish in 10ft of water, but 1 ft below the surface? I have many times.... makes you rethink.

7. Another thing to consider is the depth of your lures. You may be accustomed to putting a lure down deep int he water column but at night that may not be the right thing to do. As was mentioned the fish often times may be feeding in the top few feet of water. So you may want to try shallower running stick baits if you have not already. Lures such as Husky Jerks are a good choice at night. Try targeting the shallower waters but don't overlook deeper areas as well and run the lures high. If they are feeding high you may need to either run long lines or perhaps use small inline planer boards to get away from the boat.

I agree with Net though. It can be tough to find a bite at times at night during the warm months. However, I still find it quite peaceful to drag lures behind the boat on a warm summer evening.;)

8. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

Flatlining shallow running stickbaits run over shallow bars, humps, rocky shorelines. By shallow I mean 4' or less in depth. Trolling with an electric motor gives you a quieter approach on feeding fish. Casting husky jerks, bomber long A's, etc. in close at the mouth of feeder creeks or over rocky humps, sunken islands etc. will also produce.

9. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

Jitterbugs work well when going for bass at night. Also buzzbaits in the early morning.

10. JamesT

JamesT Banned

James T here, aka. Mr. Mayogo,

The fish may move a little shallower at night. But, some are likely still in the depths...

I've heard a blacklight can really help on the boat. Also, try chumming. I have a friend that likes to anchor. He throws out goldfish that he ground up in a blender (available at Jak's Aquarium at Graceland) in a mesh bag with a rock on the bottom. I guess the toothy critters and the smallmouth just love it, ciz they act like piranhas or something crazy.

Of course, nightime, is the best time for shore fishing as well. Especially for cats and soft shelled turtles!!!:!

11. Juan More Fish

Just put a black light on the back of the boat?:confused:

12. No, I don't think that is what he meant. Some guys use them to fish for crappie. Don't confuse youself too much. Try to keep it simple. Use stick baits or vibes and fish shallow. At some point you will find what you are looking for. DEFINITELY a different feel.