Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting an electric bowmounted trolling motor with "autopilot" for trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. My plan is to continue to use my 9.9hp kicker motor for propulsion, and have the trolling motor help to keep me on course so that I'm not spending all day steering the boat.

Is anyone else doing this, and if so how do you like the setup? Does it work well in rougher seas when the wave pick up?

·
(stcroixjoe)
975 Posts
I love it ,I have an old school trolling motor with auto pilot on it , It works great as long as i troll with the waves on rougher days, when i go against the waves the motor "pops" out of the water but it corrects its self when i go out by myself is awesome ,when you set rods, or fighting a fish and netting them

·
"The Widow's Son"
436 Posts
It works great. A 60" shaft is a must. Upgraded my Minnkota PD/AP 74# last year to a Terrova 80 AP/US and love it even more. Much easier to deploy than the older PowerDrives. I use my T-8 with a TrollMaster for propulsion and steer with the trolling motor. I also have the Co-Pilot which is very convenient. I very seldom have to touch the steering wheel. It will still work OK trolling into waves up to 2'.

I also have the Universal Sonar hooked up to the Lowrance on the dash and it's amazing how many suspended fish I will mark at the front of the boat that do not show up on the Raymarine finder on the back of the boat.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I have a Terrova 101 with AP and don't know how I fished all these years without one. It's like having another person in the boat to drive. I have only used my kicker motor once this season, and that was to troll against the waves (3 footers). I used mine last weekend trolling 1.5-1.7 mph for seven + hours and still had plenty of juice in the batteries. Mine is a 36 volt system with a 54" shaft. My boat sits pretty low to the water, so the 54 is plenty.

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
My last couple of trips on Erie have been on Kdogs boat and he has that set up. It is sweet! Really makes for an easier time trolling.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts