close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trojan/Worm Help...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TIGHTLINER, May 26, 2004.

1. Hey Guys, If you haven't noticed, I haven't been able to post in quite awhile and its not because I've been out fishing. I've been working long hours and somehow I got a trojan or worm virus onto my computer. As far as I can figure it came to me through AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and it is effecting the normal operations of Microsoft Internet Explorer, and the AIM functions. From what I gather the slang name is the profilesbyte.com bug (do not visit the website or your can be infected) and the program names appears to be win32x.exe or something to that effect. Has anybody else had a run in with this nasty little guy? If so how to I get rid of it? If not, does anybody have any suggestions of how to get rid of this thing without dropping a lot of cash?!?!? Thanks in advance.......TightLines!

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Your best bet is try try a virus scanner, I use AVG - its free - updated regularly - and most importantly works. You can get it at www.grisoft.com Also check out Ad-aware from lavasoft.de another great program to help keep the computer squeeky clean.

I searched for profilesbyte.com on symantec.com and was unable to find any virus named that, i searched for win32x and found this article:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.irc.critical.html

Not sure if it will help, but its a start.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Are you running AV software? "Win32x" is the strain of virus, not the type. You need to do a full system scan with the latest virus definitions that your AV software has available. Most worms/trojans are fairly easy to detect, but often require a seperate removal tool once you figure out which one you have.

I doubt if it came over AOL IM. It's either from an email, MS network exlpoit, or the web. Patch your IE to sp1 w/security updates, and make sure your version of windows has the latest security patches installed. If you are running an kind of "go back" or system restore features, kill all of the restore points, and don't try to restore from them. Viruses like to hang out in those.

4. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

5. It could very well have come through AOL IM.
    Usually though, its a Trojan horse rather than a virus.
    Running Ad Aware and Spybot usually cleans them out. Just remember to always keep them updated and allow them to run on start up if they tell you that they need to in order to clear a problem in memory.

Since Microsoft has been plugging holes in IE and the virus software is getting better, the jerks are starting to pick softer targets. AOL IM is perfect as people trust it and a lot of kids spend hours on it everyday.

After eating up a couple of hours a week fixing the machine at home, I finally laid down the law to the little darlings as follows:

Never ever click on a link that is in someone's profile!
    In fact, don't even click on their profile.
    Do not click on any link that is sent to you in an IM unless you know FOR SURE what it is an that it is safe.

Also:
    Do not download "free games". There is no such thing for you.
    If a website says that you need to "download this program in order to properly display the page" click no and get the heck out of there!
    You can live without reading your horoscope on line everyday.

And for you adult web wanderers: Never click on a link to a page hosted at BigmammaHosting. (Don't ask.)

PM me if you need more help.

6. Fish2day

Fish2day member

7. running and updating spybot, avg antivirus, and zonealarm firewall (all free) on a regular basis should keep you clean and safe :)

8. Hey Guys, I'm back in business. It took some work but I finally got everything smoothed out. Thanks for all of your help. This is a great place, fishing and friendships continue to grow here day after day.......TightLines!