close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trimming front end

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bttmline, May 5, 2005.

1. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

do any of you have a suggest to help keep the front end down on a 15 ft v-bottom while motoring around. this boat comes right up and all i have is a 5hp
    on it.
    bttmline

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

one way,would be to add some weight toward the front.it will take a little experimenting to get the right balance.with only 5hp pushing it,you won't get much speed.i'm not sure if a hydrofoil would work or not,as the boat is underpowered to start with.either way,i think you may need to have the motor tilted down as far as possible.
    i'm assuming it's a tiller model,and maybe moving the seat forward and adding an extention to the tiller may also help.

3. Rick is right on the weight distribution making a big difference. I use a 14' deep V in Canada with a 10HP motor. If I am out by myself the nose always wants to stay up. All I have to move is my one large tackle box from the middle of the boat to in front of the next bench (furhest foot area in boat) and also the small anchor that I am carrying. If it is not very rough or I am not fighting a strong headwind that is usually enough to get me really scooting and planing perfect.

4. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

thanks guys, i haven't had a chance to play. i just got as my spring and fall boat when i can't get the toon in. i will try moving my battery and fuel tank to see what happens.

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

The battery at about 50+ lbs and the fuel tank at 50+ lbs will make a big difference. I wouldn't think with 5hp you would raise the bow at all, but since you are, you just need to redistribute weight. Move it forward.

I know that it isn't so simple, but a 9.9 would work better for you.

UFM82